1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cambridge Audio DVD79

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by lalgulab786, May 24, 2005.

1. lalgulab786

lalgulab786

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Any comments on the Cambridge Audio DVD79 dvd player. I need to buy a dvd player to go with my new Hitachi 42PD7200.

Is it any good? Any problems to look out for? Any other dvd player/s, I should consider?

Any advise greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

2. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I had serious lip synch issues with this player and had to return it to richer sounds a day later. That said the picture quality was excellent and the divx support was good.

3. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Same issues with my DVD79. Got refund from Richers Sounds and bought a Samsung 745.

DVD79 had great PQ but couldn't live with lipsynch. V Happy with samsung.

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Returned mine to Richer too, 'cause the component PQ was :thumbsdow .

Never tried DVI though...PJ :)

5. glimball

glimball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My DVD79 is absolutely brilliant! No problems. I have recently bought a 10 metre HDMI cable from Dvigear (by post from the USA) and connected this (with the adapter that Dvigrear also supply) to my Infocus 7205 - even better picture and performance!!!

6. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Try watching region 1 Shrek 2 (especially the trailer) and region 2 King Arthur and I promise you will change your mind ! I found about a quarter of my DVD's were afflicted (as did quite a few others on this forum). I was using the optical output via a Yamaha 5.1 AV amp. Analogue out may be OK. Pity cos PQ was stunning.

Stopping and pressing play again usually corrected the problem.

7. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just re read your post - this thread is about the CA DVD79 not the Arcam. :lesson:
    Yes I am sure the Arcam PQ and sound is cool ! :clap:

8. glimball

glimball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whooooooops, sorry for wasting your time MickyGee! I used to own (still do - it's in a cupboard somewhere) quite a bit of CA gear and didn't put brain into gear when reading the thread.

9. lalgulab786

lalgulab786

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thank you guys for all your comments. After reading the numerous threads on the CA DVD79, decided against buying it. Instead purchased the Panasonic DVD-S97. Again, many thanks. :thumbsup:

One rather disturbing point I would like raise here. Whilst looking for the S97, I also rang atleast 4 or 5 different branches of Richersounds to confirm the lip-sync problems with the CA DVD79. Every single salesperson I spoke too, completely denied their was a problem and they had never heard of any such problems. :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Infact, I purchased the S97 from RS and even the salesman denied all knowledge. :confused: :confused:

The numerous threads and comments on these very forums by CA DVD79 owners would suggest otherwise.

10. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    When I returned my DVD79 the saleman did not believe me at first although when pressed, he eventually handed back my money without any further aggravation.

11. skourip

skourip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. destine1

destine1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been tracking the CA forum (http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/forum...rmware+Problems) for a couple of months now. Then today, I went to check on the status of the firmware update eluded to by CA's own CEO (just ask skourip about this) that would be available soon after Oct. 24, but the forum seems to be removed from CA's website. I don't know if they did this for maintenance reason, or this is a pathetic attempt to silence the nonexistent firmware upgrade. skourip, can you please give us an update on the DVD79 firmware upgrade?

13. skourip

skourip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0