1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cambridge Audio DVD57 anyone got one

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dougall, Sep 8, 2003.

1. dougall

dougall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently in the process of upgrading my dvd player but am limited to the one's that Richer Sounds sell as I am going to exercise my buy back right with them (50% of original price)...i am trading in a pioneer dv636 to get a cambridge audio dvd57. This is the choice as i want PAL progressive scan to link up to the plasma....they don't have much in this range and the only thing putting me off is that Cambridge Audio are exclusive to Richer Sounds hence can't find many reviews...have seen it in action on the Hitachi plasma and think it is fine....has anyone got one and what do they think of it...any probs????

2. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i used to work at rs and i can tell you that they also sell a Limit DVD a900 this is far beter than the cambridge. it has beter PS and the sound is much nicer. it may not look as good but for the price you are laughing.£160

3. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Cambridge DV55 got 4 stars in the HCC review.

Other Pal prog players to look at in this price range are the Sony DPNS730 at £140, Yamaha S540 at £120, Marantz DV4300 at £210 and the JVC NA77(?) at £160.

I've been interested in all of these but don't know anywhere that I can test them.

Cheers,
    Cal.

4. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry reread your post and see that you have to buy from RS.

I don't look there for DVD players anymore as they seem to only offer old models or cheap marques with suspect pq which doesn't appeal seeing as Pal prog is just approved.

Most of the rest of my stuff is from there though.

Cheers,
    Cal.

5. dougall

dougall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The one I was really interested in was the Harmon Kardon DV25 but they don't stock it. My budget is about £400 which is why i thought the DVD57 was too cheap (sounds stupid)...but they don't seem to do any other PAL progressive scans...i am in a dilemna as if i go somewhere else i am stuck with my pioneer which they are going to give me £190 for.

Clancol

How good are the Limits and the cambridge audio's that rs do...can i really expect decent quality for under £200...or am I out of touch with DVD prices.....it just seems too cheap (i know that sounds really stupid).

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    I had a Limit 9900SE and a CA57. the PS from the Limit is a little soft, but no issues. The CA57 PS from PAL was like watching through net curtains on my HT1000, and NTSC had problems with high brightness scenes which caused distortion. The latter may be a player/projector mismatch though.

The Toshiba 520E was a much better player, with more detail, especialy in NTSC PS. Unfortunately there's a slight green shift to the left with PAL output, but you may not see it on your plasma - it really stands out on a big screen though.

You've nothing to lose by trying them out, as you can return them, but neither the CA or Limit were detailed enough for me to want to keep them, and the PS issues with the CA made it a no hoper for me. You may have different findings on your plasma though, but don't expect too much.

Gary.

7. dougall

dougall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hit RS on the head and cut my losses and went for the DVD25...it is very impressive for both visual and sound and everything I expected.

very happy

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    A wise choice Sir. :)

Gary.