1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cambridge Audio DVD55

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Harps, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Harps

Harps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought this DVD player from Richer Sounds on a promise that it plays PAL Progressive.

When I connect it to my projector (Sanyo PLV-Z1), it does play in PAL progressive but the picture suffers from ghosting. Any ideas???

2. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm assuming you are using progressive over component video.

What component video cables are you using? If these are not 75 ohm video cables you may get reflections that contribute to ghosting.

Check the DVD player manual (specs) and check the component video output is 70 ohm.

Err. What sort of ghosting? images displaced to the left/right? Colour displaced to the left/right? Are the colours correct in the image?

J

3. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    I got the same DVD player and projector, and I'm struggling with the component progressive output. On my Z1, I get vertical lines about 3 inches wide all down the screen. This is different to the vertical banding - these lines are stationary and very even. If I force the projector to display the image in 480p mode (rather than 575p mode), the vertical bands are completely gone and it looks great. Except there's a chunk of the image missing.

The vertical lines disappear when i change the dvd player to interlaced mode, so it must be something to do with the player's p-scan output an the Z1's 575p mode. Harps - try setting the Z1 to 480p mode and see if the ghosting clears up.

I'm considering buying better component video cables, but I'm worried that it's not a problem with the cables, and new ones will be a waste of money.

4. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm.

I'm not familiar with the player - is it a cheap player? Be aware that not all component outputs are created similar and this also applies to progressive outputs. What you are describing though sounds like a gross problem with the output and one which meant that the player would not reach market. I wonder what else it could be?

Err.

Look in the manual and see what form the progressive output takes. Is it 576p (possibly converted to 625p by the projector)? Is it 480p (NTSC progressive? )

Try playing an NTSC (region 1) disk if you have one and the player will support it and see if there is a difference.

Err.

Try swapping around the 3 cables connected to your component outputs so for example if cable A carries Cr, cable B carries Pr, calbe C carries Pb then swap 'em around so that A caries Pr, B carries Pb and C carries Cr. You get the idea.

J

5. Harps

Harps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmmmm. A few ideas there. Thanks.

I am using 10m Profigold component cables. I'm sure they are suitable for the purpose.

The ghosting displaces the image slightly to the right, but with colour.

If I switch the DVD player to NTSC it still causes ghosting. (But I am playing a PAL DVD when doing this).

How can I switch the projector to 480p?

6. Harps

Harps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also another problem.

I am having problems switching the DVD player output to Widescreen mode. When I select it in the menu, I still have black bars top and bottom. This is on the 2 DVD's I have tried so far. They were both Widescreen DVD's.

7. celtic13

celtic13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    This will happen if the dvd has an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 or if its non anamorphic. Not all films are the same aspect ratio so black bars top and bottom are a regular occurrence.

P

8. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do I switch the player to 480p?

Good question. Depends on the player AFAIK. That is why I suggested playing an American Region 1 DVD which will be encoded in NTSC and hence <may> cause your player to give a 480p output (NTSC has 480 active lines).

However, the player <may> convert this before output. It depends on the player I think.

PAL DVDs have 576 active lines and a PAL progressive player should output 576p which your projector may or may not interpret as 625p.

The whole PAL progressive video standard is a bit hazy because as far as I know, the standard is still not "standard" if you see what I mean and so there is a fair degree of latitude in it.

J

9. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Switch the projector to 480p (not the player).

Go to the menu and have a rummage around. It's not difficult to find the option, but I'm at work ATM and I can't remember where it is. I know the default value is "auto". Look for a list of modes (1080i at the top, down to 480i at the bottom) somewhere in the input / video / component video options.

10. Harps

Harps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I tried changing the projector to 480p and it made no difference that I could see whatsoever.

I think I might try exchanging the DVD Player and hope this was a dud one. I know its unlikely but you never know...

11. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you try swapping the cables around as I suggested?

Try connecting the same cables and video input into a known good source.

Otherwise I would try swapping the player as you say.
    J

12. Harps

Harps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no joy with any of the suggested solutions. I think I may exchange it and try another one.

Mr Belowski, did you find out if it was a quality issue with the cables?

13. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks more a player problem than projector IMHO.

Bumping & moving to DVD player area - may be some peeps there with more experience of this model.