1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cambridge Audio DVD55/57 - Pal ps

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sirjohnofbalham, May 19, 2003.

1. sirjohnofbalham

sirjohnofbalham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I notice that Richer Sounds are now selling these 2 players both of which offer PAL PS at £149 and £199 respectively. Has anyone bought one yet or know how they compare with the Limit? Perhaps they are made in the same factory? The look well made externally but what they're like inside is another matter.

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I've had both the Limit 9900Se and the CA 57.

The Limit played fine, but has a soft interlaced output. Progressive outputs were sharper, and didn't have any issues whatsoever. The Toshiba SD520 is noticeably more detailed in both interlaced and progressive outputs though (only NTSC PS tho').

The CA 57 had a slightly better interlaced output (not as detailed as the 520), but the PAL progresive looked like you were looking through some fine net curtains - very faint vertical lines.

NTSC progressive was a little better, but the picture would distort during high brightness scenes such as the explosions in the Times Square sequence of Spider-Man, and various scenes in The Matrix. I couldn't even use the needle pulse tests from the Avia disk due to this.

So, don't buy either if you want a sharp detailed image on a large screen. Buy the Limit if you have a smaller screen - and it's the only player of the few that I've seen that didn't have any problems with its progressive output.

I'd be inclined to wait a little while as newer players with PAL PS are coming out all the time at the moment, and we should start seeing the big name players with high quality pictures and no issues (I hope). :)

Gary.
    Gary.

3. brian mccaig

brian mccaig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to let u know that recently sent back limit 9900se dvd after some reading discs problems(for the second time). Changed it for Cambridge Audio top range model £199.99. Sound quality was good but the set up was a pain - the Limit is so much easier to use and there is no diffrence in picture quality on either machine, however the biggest gripe about the Cambridge dvd player is the ommision of the facility to play SVCD/VCD's (?)

Will be going back to Richer Sounds tomorrow for money back - but I may wait for the new Limit DVDA900 which i'm told should have most of their early glitches ironed out.

4. brian mccaig

brian mccaig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to let u know that was at Richer Sounds yesterday and they know about Cambridge Audio's SVCD problem - they advised that they should be getting either a downloaded disc hack or a chip that should be available in 2-3 weeks. I have the option to change it to the new Limit that I mentioned earlier - to be honest I love the new Cambidge machine the sound quality is superb, especially with the DVD Audio discs and the extra features are fun i.e the fast forward on mp3 mode is so cool - very powerful and fast. The disc drawer is very quite and no high pitched whine like in the Limit machine - it also plays all my DVD+r and DVD+rw discs and any other discs that the Limit didn't like. So I'm going to wait and see cause if I get a hack or chip for this new machine I will one happy owner

5. browsking

browsking
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Ive got a Cam dvd55 and it plays everything i've put in it including vcd and svcd

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I was 'underwhelmed' by the Limit and these two latest CA. They need more work. :(

7. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive only heard bad things about the CA players...

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    If I needed a half decent DVD player right now, and didn't need PAL progressive, I'd get the Panasonic S75.

It's as good, if not better than the Tosh 520, and has plenty of adjustments. Excellent value at just £123 online, and the multi-region one I saw played RCE discs too.

Gary.

9. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    If you like the Cambridge Audio DVD55 why not buy it from safeways there doing the same model for £49.49 under the Compacks branding. Only a third of the price of the CA model however there may be firmware differences as the Compacks has no problem reading svcds/vcds. Definitely worth checking out I love mine. The real manufacturer of these players is Sampo I believe.

10. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    The DVD55 can't render a decent progressive scan image - if you want p-scan you'll probably need to pay more for a player that does it properly.

11. browsking

browsking
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am I the only person in the universe who likes the CA DVD 55?. Got a panny AE100 and the prog scan image from this dvd player is a vast improvement on my previous player. Sharper, Brighter, More depth. Wot do you want for 150 notes, blood?.

12. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Whats your evidence for this? Have you actually compared it with another model?

13. brian mccaig

brian mccaig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to update re the ca machine i bought- changed it for the tosh sd520e - what a belter of a machine - sound and vision are excellent - even the build looks and feels great- and it plays all my discs from svcd to mp3- i have a lot of discs from the US - but to be honest as far as prog scan goes i'm not really bothered as my projector doesn't really like the signal - some ghosting detected - infact i preferred the normal signal to prog scan- it's the dvd audio that won me over. You get what u pay for and it would seem that the top of the range c/a deck is the one that will not play svcd they're entry level model does - and richer sounds also said that there's no firmware update on the cards re svcd compatability...

14. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I will always take quality interlaced over cheap PS but ultimately qulity PS is the way to go but all these panel based projectors do it internally anyway, it is just down to the 'quality' in how it is done. £80 for a Toshiba 220 with comoponent outputs takes some beating in my book.

15. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Not all projectors are equal when it comes to deinterlacing and scaling though, so in some cases, you may benefit from a progressive player.

I can notice a slight difference on my projector, but others may notice a bigger difference. DVI is better still from my htpc.

Gary.

16. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    bonzobanana - yes, I have compaired the DVD 55 with aonther progressive player.

I got an XBox with a mod-chip and a hacked version of the XBox DVD regionX player allowing progressive playback, and here's my experiences

XBox prog-scan - looks great. Pin sharp, no artefacts

DVD 55 prog-scan - looks very soft and burry, with ghosting on faces and text. Lots of annoying purple shadows

DVD 55 interlaced - looks great, pin sharp, but some deinterlacing artefacts caused by my projector

XBox interlaced - looks good (but not as sharp as the DVD 55), but again, suffers from de-interlacing artefacts.

For the record, I wouldn't post some made up crap about a DVD player if I'd never actually seen it running. I really don't understand why you suggested that I would...

17. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I don't suppose you can point out where I said you were posting crap could you because all I asked is what your evidence is? Which you have done in the above message. On the compacks model I have which is basically the same as the dvd55 the progressive image seems about the same sharpness as interlace but black detail levels aren't as good as interlace but you really have to look for this. Ghosting is there but I think I have it less than others as it really is minimal. Scart RGB looks fine in this regard. No purple shadows at all.

I plan to make up a scart to vga cable which I believe will give me the best possitble progressive picture.