Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M Review & Comments

Paul7777x

This would have been a very good bit of machinery for use with some serious active speakers or power amps.

The lack of a volume control rather kills that. Pity.

EDIT;

Cheers Muljao.

Last edited:

muljao

This would have been a very good bit of machinery for use with some serious active speakers or power amps.

The lack of a volume control rather kills that. Pity.
It has volume control but no remote afaik

volvofan

As above the lack of remote volume control is quite an oversight,also to a lesser extent remote source selection given the preamp inclusion,imho.
Wont bother everyone to the same extent,but I'm middle aged and lazy.
Sounds like it's a decent box of tricks for many though.

Patricia P

The model it is replacing, Dacmagic Plus, can be either variable or fixed volume with a button long press I believe.

Has this been implemented here?

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
The model it is replacing, Dacmagic Plus, can be either variable or fixed volume with a button long press I believe.

Has this been implemented here?

Yes, same system.

Paul7777x

It has volume control but no remote afaik

Aha. My bad... I meant remote control of the volume control.

One of these and a pair of Dynaudios, say, LYD 7s would be a supremely effective hifi.

But a remote volume control is necessary for almost everyone.

Last edited:

jacko01

sort of like the look of it, think the topping a90/d90 will be a better bet to run with my AE1 actives for my desktop, admittedly more money, but Topping seem to be knocking out of the ballpark these days & as it's just computer monitors won't miss the remote.

Paul7777x

sort of like the look of it, think the topping a90/d90 will be a better bet to run with my AE1 actives for my desktop, admittedly more money, but Topping seem to be knocking out of the ballpark these days & as it's just computer monitors won't miss the remote.

I’d try one of these first

Might be all you need if it has the inputs you want.

jacko01

yes like the look of that,(just DAC/pre though) saw Ed gave it a good review too, but i'm all xlr here, price on that E30 is great though, but think the AE1 active's are deserving of a little more love. I also have the Shure 1540's to run off the setup, I'm using the excellent Chord Mojo atm, but again think the Shure's will enjoy the Topping combo, no change from £900 though...

muljao

Aha. My bad... I meant remote control of the volume control.

One of these and a pair of Dynaudios, say, LYD 7s would be a supremely effective hifi.

But a remote volume control is necessary for almost everyone.
Ya I think it would be better with a remote. Lots of less expensive units have it I could see it being overlooked because of the ommsion

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
I have one of these attached to my PC, very happy with it. I have positioned it within reach so I can see the LED info and control volume. It switches instantaneously between formats (FLAC, DSD etc) which is very impressive. Roon users should take note it has Roon Tested status (not Roon Ready as it says on the box).

edcpadam

Novice Member
Hi,
Currently have an Auralic Aries Mini and at some point would like to upgrade the dac. Would this be an effective upgrade or should I look at selling the mini and upgrading that? Whatever, I do I would like to have an optical input for the tv.

Currently feeding into mf A1000 and PMC TWENTY.23

Any thoughts appreciated

Cheers

Phil

SlimyRiddler

"The bass extension of the 200M is an area where it shows a clean pair of heels to the exceptionally talented budget DACs like the iFi Zen DAC and Topping E30. Not only does it go a little lower, there is more detail and clarity to that low level information too."

Was this concluded under double blind a/b test conditions? And I'd be very interested to see what measurements you took to confirm your subjective opinion here.

We are well past a point in electircal engineering where we can measure what we hear. I think it's just fine to hear a difference but VERY important to use science to confirm this because it is a kind and thoughtful thing to do - you know, saving good people from spending twice as much for zero gain (no pun)

That's the honourable thing yes ? In an industry full of utter corporate skulduggery.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom