Cambridge Audio CXUHD Owners thread

barwell1992

Does anyone know if the CXUHD accepts 24bit/192khz over UPnP and can it decode MQA ?

I’ve got the unit linked up to a stand-alone DAC for CD and streaming using the coax out, I also have the HDMI 2.0 out into my receiver for Movies.

barwell1992

Does anyone know if the CXUHD accepts 24bit/192khz over UPnP and can it decode MQA ?

I’ve got the unit linked up to a stand-alone DAC for CD and streaming using the coax out, I also have the HDMI 2.0 out into my receiver for Movies.
To answer my own question it works at 24/192 over UPnP but qobuz is very temperamental and seems to crash a lot in the mconnect app or the Cambridge refuses to play.

Tidal works fine but only up to 24/48 so no MQA support or at least not over UPnP

Qobuz
97EAE1D0-FC28-408C-A3EE-B07590B89A4E.png

Tidal
E7487C99-2FAA-4743-AFAA-5BB4F3B0F829.jpeg

E0443257-2E17-4BB1-AD08-CE1AF7EF454F.png

mickbirch2000

Forgot the CXUHD has built in Wi-Fi so no need to swop ethernet cable over from the CXR200, just set up wireless network connection now awaiting update sometime soon.

kingkarl

Distinguished Member
Just had a nice surprise in the post from Cambridge Audio this morning.
A set of SE1 headphones worth nearly £70 for helping out with the Beta testing of the CX-UHD.
Now if only all companies were as good as this , what a nice gift.
Hope you guys get the new update soon.

IMG_20190418_114309 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20190418_114329 (Medium).jpg

IntelliVolume

Hello Fellow CXUHD Owners!

U.S. member here who has been rockin' the player since this past Halloween; wanted the Oppo 203 (to replace my Oppo BDP-83) but they had discontinued it at that point...read the CXUHD was basically a clone of the 203, so even though it was somewhat out of our budget, we went ahead and ordered it online via payments (we originally purchased a Panasonic 820, but I returned it the next day because it was horrendously cheap-feeling with a tiny, almost toy-like chassis and terrible build quality; the CXUHD blows that player out of the stratosphere in terms of seriousness of build alone).

I have been in contact with my contact at Cambridge (Nicolas) quite regularly, and I'm glad to be reading here that a firmware update has fixed a couple of things -- namely the "bearded dude" (or as you guys in the UK say, "ugly bloke") being gone off the startup screen and perhaps the addition of HDR10+ (which my Samsung TV supports). I am connected via wireless WiFi for updates, so I'll have to check if my CXUHD has automatically updated (not sure if the U.S. is getting the update this early though).

I have been dealing with a couple of things since owning the player, though, and it's somewhat disappointing for a unit that costs what this does (especially since Cambridge was already getting a premium for it over the Oppo variant), the first being a "grinding/ticking" noise that comes from the disc tray when playing most DVDs -- I say "most" because some do not make a noise when playing.

Has anyone experienced this when playing DVDs in the CXUHD?

Additionally, my remote control's backlight system seems to be acting weird in that sometimes it will not illuminate the keypad when buttons such as STOP or PLAY are pressed, but sometimes it will -- at times, I need to press the illuminate key in the upper left hand corner of the remote in order to light the keys. Is this normal behavior for the remote?

Also, it has been brought to my attention that my player, with all video output settings adjusted to "AUTO" (pretty much default settings out of the box), may not be sending out signals that are "correct" for the Samsung NU8000 4K display it's connected to; when I shared the output data from the player with some folks on various enthusiast forums like this one, I was told the Color Depth and some other parameters may not be correct...

That said, I was wondering if someone here could maybe look at the following values and tell me if my CXUHD is outputting the right video signals for my television system (at least when playing 4K discs with HDR10 encoding).

Now, this data was taken when I played my only 4K Blu-ray I owned at the time, Equalizer 2, and pressing the remote's INFO button yielded this information:

MEDIA INFORMATION:
Resolution: 3840 x 2160
Frame Rate: 23.976p
HDR Format: BDMV HDR
Color Space: BT2020 YCbCr 4:2:0 10-Bit
Video Codec: HEVC
Current Bit Rate: 46.1 Mbps
Max Luminance: 4000 Nits
Min Luminance: 0.005 Nits
Video Bit Rate: 43.5 Mbps

HDMI (MAIN) OUTPUT INFORMATION:
HDR Format: HDR
Color Space: BT2020 YCbCr 4:4:4 12-Bit

If someone could analyze these for me and let me know if they look right for my Samsung 65" NU8000 display, I'd appreciate it; from what I understand, this television cannot do true 10-bit color depth, but instead does 8-bit with "dithering" to simulate 10-bit video...so I am concerned that the player is sending out 12-bit to the panel.

Again, this is with all output parameters in the CXUHD set to AUTOMATIC, including:

- Resolution
- Custom Resolution (UHD Auto)
- HDR
- Color Space
- Color Depth

Thank you in advance!

gactm

Have you asked your contact at Cambridge (Nicolas) about that “the CXUHD was basically a clone of the 203”?

It’s not the first time that I read this kind of statement about Oppo and Cambridge Audio blu ray players. In my opinion this categorisation reflects at least ignorance. If the CXUHD was a clone of Oppo UHD 203, then how come the former doesn’t have audio DACs? Moreover, shouldn’t clones share the same firmware?

I haven’t experienced your issue with playing DVDs in my CXUHD. Also, as I don’t have your model of Samsung TV, I can’t comment on outputting the right video signals.

IntelliVolume

Have you asked your contact at Cambridge (Nicolas) about that “the CXUHD was basically a clone of the 203”?

It’s not the first time that I read this kind of statement about Oppo and Cambridge Audio blu ray players. In my opinion this categorisation reflects at least ignorance. If the CXUHD was a clone of Oppo UHD 203, then how come the former doesn’t have audio DACs? Moreover, shouldn’t clones share the same firmware?

I haven’t experienced your issue with playing DVDs in my CXUHD. Also, as I don’t have your model of Samsung TV, I can’t comment on outputting the right video signals.
Great.

So why did you even bother to answer? You contributed nothing, really, but sarcasm with regard to my "assumption" about these two players' similarities. :rolleyes:

Plus, you focused on a piece of my original post that wasn't even the primary point of my questions...:facepalm:

The two players share the same processor, from what I understand, which is essentially the guts of the units, and aside from aesthetic differences (though both boast brushed aluminum front panels, a rarity in today's market save for the Panasonic 9000) the CXUHD just drops the aforementioned DACs in favor of a transport-only design.

Furthermore, I provided the output information and my display model so perhaps someone -- even someone who DOESN'T own this particular Samsung but KNOWS what kind of data should be coming over to a display like this -- could maybe take a stab at what the Color Depth, etc. should look like, as I'm not that good at analyzing these things. I can provide detailed information/specs about the television if necessary.

Last edited:

IntelliVolume

Can anyone else take a stab at the questions I had regarding the output information, at least?

IntelliVolume

Edit; duplicate post

gactm

You wrote that you were told by some folks on various enthusiast forums that the colour depth and some other parameters might had not be correct. I would be a bit reluctant to believe those opinions.

I think the best approach for you is to call a professional calibrator. He or she will assess your display in conjunction with your CXUHD and against various degrees of illumination of your room. At the end you get a calibration report with various parameters (including colour space and colour depth) that are yours and only yours. Other parameters taken from various forum members definitely won’t be appropriate for your situation. I don’t think that a professional calibrator will cost you an arm and a leg.

Whether or not this suggestion is a contribution, it’s up to you.

IntelliVolume

You wrote that you were told by some folks on various enthusiast forums that the colour depth and some other parameters might had not be correct. I would be a bit reluctant to believe those opinions.
What does that have to do with my pointing out that you focused on what I said regarding the SIMILARITY of the players? You called this "ignorance at best," I believe, which is really uncalled for and not even the POINT of my post (I just simply mentioned it as personal sentiment).

I think the best approach for you is to call a professional calibrator. He or she will assess your display in conjunction with your CXUHD and against various degrees of illumination of your room. At the end you get a calibration report with various parameters (including colour space and colour depth) that are yours and only yours. Other parameters taken from various forum members definitely won’t be appropriate for your situation. I don’t think that a professional calibrator will cost you an arm and a leg.

Whether or not this suggestion is a contribution, it’s up to you.
What I'm looking for -- and I suspect you may actually be ABLE to help me here but are refusing to do so out of some kind of misplaced reluctance -- is someone to perhaps take a look at the output information as reported by my CXUHD and then tell me if those numbers (specifically Color Space and Color Depth) look "right" with regard to what my Samsung CAN display.

Here are some sources for getting the technical specs of my panel:

nu8000 specs - Google Search

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
HDMI (MAIN) OUTPUT INFORMATION:
HDR Format: HDR
Color Space: BT2020 YCbCr 4:4:4 12-Bit

If someone could analyze these for me and let me know if they look right for my Samsung 65" NU8000 display, I'd appreciate it; from what I understand, this television cannot do true 10-bit color depth, but instead does 8-bit with "dithering" to simulate 10-bit video...so I am concerned that the player is sending out 12-bit to the panel.

Again, this is with all output parameters in the CXUHD set to AUTOMATIC, including:

- Resolution
- Custom Resolution (UHD Auto)
- HDR
- Color Space
- Color Depth

Thank you in advance!
Can anyone else take a stab at the questions I had regarding the output information, at least?
I have neither the player or the TV but:
Colour space BT2020 is correct as you need that for HDR
If the player has set 4:4:4 12 bit via auto setup it will have queried the TV what it can cope with and set this.

Unless you have any problems leave it at these settings. Otherwise you should be able to change to 10 bit and/or 4:2:2 if necessary on the player. Indication you might need to do this is banding.
This was a problem with early Panasonic UHD players on Samsung TVs where the player would only output at 12 bit. This was later sorted to give the option for 10 bit as well.

Your 8 bit with dithering is a red herring. The TV will sort out what is required. BT2020 HDR requires at least 10 bit processing and that is a requirement that must be met for Ultra HD certification (which Samsung shows your TV as having).

Last edited:

IntelliVolume

First of all Doug, let me say thank you very much for lending some assistance without sarcastic or cruel rhetoric; it's much appreciated. :)

Let me address your statements individually:

I have neither the player or the TV but:
Colour space BT2020 is correct as you need that for HDR
Thank you.

If the player has set 4:4:4 12 bit via auto setup it will have queried the TV what it can cope with and set this.
Right -- but I'm concerned that the "query" during the Auto handshake sequence didn't perhaps send out correct information, being that my display SHOULDN'T be able to output 12-bit data (but that's what the CXUHD is showing in the output section).

Unless you have any problems leave it at these settings. Otherwise you should be able to change to 10 bit and/or 4:2:2 if necessary on the player. Indication you might need to do this is banding.
This was a problem with early Panasonic UHD players on Samsung TVs where the player would only output at 12 bit. This was later sorted to give the option for 10 bit as well.
Yes, there is a selection for 10-bit and 4:2:2 in the player's menu settings, but I wasn't sure if this was 100-percent correct for MY display. As for the banding, I'm not seeing that with UHD 4K discs, only with some DVDs and Blu-rays...

Your 8 bit with dithering is a red herring. The TV will sort out what is required. BT2020 HDR requires at least 10 bit processing and that is a requirement that must be met for Ultra HD certification (which Samsung shows your TV as having).
Thanks for this confirmation; why does everyone say that the NU8000 has only 8-bit with dithering then?

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
Right -- but I'm concerned that the "query" during the Auto handshake sequence didn't perhaps send out correct information, being that my display SHOULDN'T be able to output 12-bit data (but that's what the CXUHD is showing in the output section).
Your TV isn't outputting 12 bit but rather is accepting 12 bit data which many TVs can do.

For example my LG Oled accepts 12 bit data but only has a 10 bit panel. Whether it then drops two of the bits or like some Sony's operates at a higher bit depth processing I don't know, or for that matter not particularly concerned about. The picture looks OK and that's enough for me.
Yes, there is a selection for 10-bit and 4:2:2 in the player's menu settings, but I wasn't sure if this was 100-percent correct for MY display. As for the banding, I'm not seeing that with UHD 4K discs, only with some DVDs and Blu-rays...

Thanks for this confirmation; why does everyone say that the NU8000 has only 8-bit with dithering then?
I don't know but that could be referring to an 8 bit panel with dithering to bring it to 10 bit equivalent. rtings review shows the TV as 10 bit "we consider 8-bit with dithering to be equivalent to 10-bit, as long as the 10-bit gradient looks smooth" Section 8.2 Samsung NU8000 Review (UN49NU8000, UN55NU8000, UN65NU8000, UN75NU8000, UN82NU8000)

"10-bit colour can be faked on an 8-bit panel by using dithering, also known as Frame Rate Control or FRC. This uses slightly different shades of colour with successive frames to create the illusion of more colours. 8-bit+FRC TVs as still qualify as UHD Premium, as the TV is accepting a 10-bit signal, processing it and capable of displaying it accurately"
Navigating The Tricky Waters Of Buying A 4K HDR TV – TheSixthAxis

Try 10 bit 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 and see if there is any improvement in the picture.

Last edited:

IntelliVolume

My LG Oled accepts 12 bit data but only has a 10 bit panel. Whether it then drops two of the bits or like some Sony's operates at a higher bit depth processing I don't know, or for that matter not particularly concerned about. The picture looks OK and that's enough for me.

I don't know but that could be referring to an 8 bit panel with dithering to bring it to 10 bit equivalent. rtings review shows the TV as 10 bit "we consider 8-bit with dithering to be equivalent to 10-bit, as long as the 10-bit gradient looks smooth" Section 8.2 Samsung NU8000 Review (UN49NU8000, UN55NU8000, UN65NU8000, UN75NU8000, UN82NU8000)

"10-bit colour can be faked on an 8-bit panel by using dithering, also known as Frame Rate Control or FRC. This uses slightly different shades of colour with successive frames to create the illusion of more colours. 8-bit+FRC TVs as still qualify as UHD Premium, as the TV is accepting a 10-bit signal, processing it and capable of displaying it accurately"
Navigating The Tricky Waters Of Buying A 4K HDR TV – TheSixthAxis

Try 10 bit 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 and see if there is any improvement in the picture.
Thank you very much for explaining this to me.

And what about the fact that the player is outputting YCbCr 4:4:4 to my Samsung when playing 4K discs -- is this something I need to be concerned about?

I understand that the discs are authored in 4:2:0, as evidenced by what the DISC information shows on my player, but it seems to be sending 4:4:4 to my display...is this okay?

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
Thank you very much for explaining this to me.

And what about the fact that the player is outputting YCbCr 4:4:4 to my Samsung when playing 4K discs -- is this something I need to be concerned about?
Not unless you have any signs that either your HDMI cable or TV have problems with it.
4:4:4 uses much more data bandwidth.
I understand that the discs are authored in 4:2:0, as evidenced by what the DISC information shows on my player, but it seems to be sending 4:4:4 to my display...is this okay?
Yes. A UHD player will send either 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 determined either via auto setup or by manual selection. 4:4:4 is OK on my TV, it may not be on yours. Again, try the combinations and see which one you most like.

IntelliVolume

Not unless you have any signs that either your HDMI cable or TV have problems with it.
4:4:4 uses much more data bandwidth.
But it shouldn't be coming over in a different format, should it, like RGB? It SHOULD be in the YCbCr format, correct?

Yes. A UHD player will send either 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 determined either via auto setup or by manual selection. 4:4:4 is OK on my TV, it may not be on yours. Again, try the combinations and see which one you most like.
Thanks; nothing seems to be looking "off" on my display when I view 4K content with HDR, save for problems with the TV itself (it's an edge-lit display, and this means that black letterbox bars light up like the Fourth of July due to the backlight being maxed out and the local dimming going to high), but I just wanted to make sure the data is being sent properly.

IntelliVolume

Thanks Doug. Much appreciated. :thumbsup:

mickbirch2000

Still awaiting that elusive new firmware, cant be long now surely???

IntelliVolume

Still awaiting that elusive new firmware, cant be long now surely???
The last I heard from my contact, it was coming soon...but they couldn't give any details beyond that.

gwpt

Hi there,
i have been looking at the CXUHD for a while as a potential center of the new 4k / hirez audio setup im trying to put together. It seemed to tick all the boxes, 4k, hdr, sacd, dvd-a etc.
although my main use case will probably playing files that live on a NAS (i rip everything i buy for the convenience)

But i just read (old news, i know!) that the CXUHD is being discontinued..

So, do you think it is still worth buying one? (Nothing else seems to have its feature list) or do you know if there is anything similar on the horizon that may have a similar feature set?

P.s. The clincher would probably be how well it plays files of the NAS. In your experience can it pretty much play anything? Or does it struggle with certain file types?

gactm

As you write “I rip everything I buy for the convenience”, do you really need a player with a disc spinner? If your answer is no, the following media device might be convenient for you.

THE ULTIMATE OPPO MEDIA DEVICE !

gwpt

Ha! Nice idea but it seems so dodgy i wouldnt dare risk it!

Yes, i would like disc, as it is handy to be able to play them too.

mickbirch2000

Still waiting patiently for the rumoured firmware update...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LCD TVs for Movies, Laser Projectors, RIP Ennio Morricone, AV & Movie news, B+W Matt Damon

Trending threads

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 12th July 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
QDC Blue Dragon earphones on sale in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TV licence fee now applies to over 75s from 1st Aug
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
New H.266 video codec promises 50 percent data saving