Cambridge Audio CXU Blu-ray Player Review & Comments

Hello all :),

I've just bought a cambridge cxu & a cambridge azur 551 rV2 as av receiver.
This is my first HC install and... I have a (maybe silly ) question:
The CXU has hdmi output and it has also 7.1 channel analogue audio output.
The receiver has cdmi input and also 7.1 audio direct in.

Do i simply have to connect the cxi to the azur with a hdmi cable?
Or is it better to connect with an cdmi cable for the video AND with cinch cables for the audio (from cxi analogue audio output to azur audio direct in)?

Many thanks :)

++

Skraboutcha

Hi,

Could you check ones if you watch a Blu ray movie via HDMI that the audio is upsampled to 96k or is it still 48k?

Thanks

Hi CXU Masters!

If i need different subtitles what is on a BluRay Disc, can i download different subtitles and use it?

THX

I am very suprised that you can recommend the Oppo 103D which I find has a very inferior performance both SQ & PQ compared to a cheap Sony player. The Sony has a natural picture and the BD sound is excellent. The Oppo I find unlistenable especially the HF , picture is too bright however others who are not as critical as myself may find it OK.

Since there isn't a dedicated owners thread I thought I'd put a few thoughts here.

In these days of dedicated 4K players retailing for less than the £499 I spent on this from Richer Sounds it might seem like a foolish investment, I mean it's all digital, any £60 player will do the same job etc.

Love it.

It is genuinely a step up from my previous 651BD, retaining the same solid build quality but adding nice little touches like a miles better backlit remote, improved menu screens and a wi-fi dongle included.

I watched Avengers Assemble this afternoon and never enjoyed it as much, it's still one of my favourite demos, easy entertainment with pin sharp 1.85:1 visuals and thumping 7.1 audio.

For anyone still hoarding a large DVD collection this is multi region for dvds out of the box.

The only negative I could say was that my unit had the wrong power cable in the box, a skinny figure of eight job instead of the kettle type needed, but a phone call to RS soon sorted that.

Hi,
Does anyone know if the cxu offers better audio performance than the 751bd? I note they both share the same audio processing and Wolfson dacs so just wonder if I'd notice any improvement should I purchase the cxu.
Many thanks,
David

I know that the technical answer is probably no difference, but maybe bring a couple of your favourite discs with you to demo the unit with a receiver/speaker setup as close to your existing spec as possible.

It's not a direct comparison, but I went from a 651BD to this and the audio side of things seems more impressive to me.

Then again, I could be just trying to justify to myself wanting to change in the first place :)

It's an excellent piece of kit and even little things like the new, backlit remote still bring a smile to my face.

Thanks Mike.
The 751bd had superior sound processing over the 651. In fact I remember it was touted as an audiophile version of the 651bd. The main difference being the five Wolfson dacs in the 751. As you say, I'll need to audition.

I’ve asked UEG why he has classed my question as ‘sad’. Unless I’m missing something I regard it as mildly insulting.

Oh. Ok, many thanks.

Hi, does Cambridge Audio CXU play all the regionally coded blu-ray discs (region A, B, C) and DVDs (region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8)? I saw such offer at eBay but not mentioned here. Or is tehre any special region free edition? Thanx for your clarification.

From my own unit I can confirm that a standard CXU will only play Region B blu rays but will play both Region 1 and 2 Dvds.

Any player advertised as being Multi-Region has been modified after production.

Hi,
Does anyone know if the cxu offers better audio performance than the 751bd? I note they both share the same audio processing and Wolfson dacs so just wonder if I'd notice any improvement should I purchase the cxu.
Many thanks,
David
Hi David
I dont know if you are aware but the CXU/UHD doesnt have any analogue o/ps unlike the 751bd which does, therefore the quality of the sound produced very much depends on the dacs in your other kit. The o/ps are HDMI (audio) or spdif (coax or optical).
Effectively the CXU/UHD is just a good quality transport.
Regards Mike

Last edited:
Yes, thanks, I did know that. In any event things have changed significantly since I asked this question two years ago.
(See list of equipment below).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom