Question Cambridge Audio CXR120 AV receiver

Chalklands

Established Member
Reaction score
A general question. The sound level displayed on the box is showing as -33 give or take. Is this normal for this receiver? The sound is fine, I'm just wondering why the minus number?

Pete

The -db thing is a bit of an anachronism these days some receivers give you the choice of changing to a + ('normal') volume range in the menu. IIRC the -db ratings are because an amp is at max. volume at -0db so for example -90db is holding the power back and by going up/down! in -db steps you are allowing more power to flow. I'm sure someone could explain it better but I hope I have helped rather than confused you. :)

The -db thing is a bit of an anachronism these days some receivers give you the choice of changing to a + ('normal') volume range in the menu. IIRC the -db ratings are because an amp is at max. volume at -0db so for example -90db is holding the power back and by going up/down! in -db steps you are allowing more power to flow. I'm sure someone could explain it better but I hope I have helped rather than confused you. :)
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. Still a tad confused. Are you saying the negative db ratings are bad for my amp? Do I need to change some settings?

No they're not bad for your amp. just confusing. Just listen at levels that suit you and forget about the numbers.
All changing the settings do (if your Cambridge offers a choice) is make the numbers go from 0 to 90 instead of -90 to -0. They don't alter the volume.

The reference master volume scale is actually the scale most would suggest you use as opposed to the absolute 0 to 90 scale. Neither will harm your setup, but the relative db scale gives a far more accurate indication of the actual levels you are listening at as measured from your primary listening position.

You may find this article informative:
What’s the Difference Between Relative and Absolute Volume?

Most AV entusiasts use the relative scale.

No, the AVR is not at its maximum volume at 0db. The 0db represents the reference level to which the receiver was levelled according to during calibration. You can exceed this, but I'd suggest not doing so because you'd be listening at levels that can damage your hearing.

A general question. The sound level displayed on the box is showing as -33 give or take. Is this normal for this receiver? The sound is fine, I'm just wondering why the minus number?

Pete

-33db indicates that the master volume is set to 33db below the reference level the receiver was calibrated relative to. This is typically 75 to 85db so the level would equate to 42 to 52db in real terms as measured from your listening position.

If you set the master volume to 0db then you'd be portraying film soundtracks at reference. REference is the volume used during the mix of the soundtrack and should portray the full dynamic range of that soundtrack. Reference is also the level you'd experience in a movie theatre.

No, the AVR is not at its maximum volume at 0db. The 0db represents the reference level to which the receiver was levelled according to during calibration. You can exceed this, but I'd suggest not doing so because you'd be listening at levels that can damage your hearing.

I think you probably are aware that I knew this but I didn't want to confuse the OP :)

Judging by his thanks I think I did.

No you didn't. Your explanation is incorrect. If you already knew what I related then why didn't you convey this to him rather than what you posted?

Why is relative volume an anachronism??? It is the most appropriate scale to use and has not been superceeded by the absolute scale. The absolute scale is the one that make little if any sence. What does it relate to?

Last edited:
Dante you have been very helpful to me previously which I have always appreciated. But you can come across as exasperatingly pedantic and argumentative at times:).

I wonder which answer was the clearest to the OP? sometimes less is more than enough and I would bet that the OP is not as familiar or conversant with dbs as you are, otherwise he would not have asked what he did in the first place.

I'm not being arguementative, I'm expressing the fact that you misinformed the OP. How do you know that the answer to his question would confuse him and if it did then you can simply take the time to explain it to him.

Your explanation is like telling someone who asks what a door is to go use the window.

I'm not being arguementative, I'm expressing the fact that you misinformed the OP. How do you know that the answer to his question would confuse him and if it did then you can simply take the time to explain it to him.

Your explanation is like telling someone who asks what a door is to go use the window.

Now you are being petulant the OP is a novice who was happy with my simplified answer, he's possibly confused after reading your technically correct answer. In fact the thread would have been completed if you hadn't butted in to correct my technical simplicity.
Give it a rest please, I certainly don't want to fall out with you as I always appreciate your superior and helpful knowledge, but I have enough on my plate at the moment without this.
I'm out.

Thanks. I never really understood what was meant by reference level until I read this. Just tried watching a film at 0db on my Denon AVR-X2000 with Q Acoustics speakers. Bloody Hell!!!! How can anyone watch a film at this level? Think my eardrums would explode after about 5 minutes :eek:

Thanks. I never really understood what was meant by reference level until I read this. Just tried watching a film at 0db on my Denon AVR-X2000 with Q Acoustics speakers. Bloody Hell!!!! How can anyone watch a film at this level? Think my eardrums would explode after about 5 minutes :eek:

Yes, I forgot to mention that it is LOUD. Not loud enough to cause hearing damage though, but loud enough to annoy neighbours and other family members. Most receivers include some form of night listening mode that allows the quieter aspects of a soundtrack not to be lost at lower listening levels. It is the quieter aspects that suffer the most if not listening at reference.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom