Cambridge Audio CXN V2 Streamer Blew my SPEAKER.

Justruckin

Novice Member
I just purchased the Cambridge CXN V2 Network Streamer, while using the preamp outputs direct to my amplifier(s) the volume spikes to the moon. I also just purchased the KLH Model 5 speakers... Well, I am down to one. We are waiting on parts or sending the KLH back for a new one. Audio Advisor in Grand Rapids is helping me out in this situation. I hope I can simply get parts, or I will purchase a new one.

Back to the Cambridge CXN...

Initially, in my mind, this was a settings issue, as there were issues setting up a separate preamp, no sound, and then everything worked. And yes, I did turn the CXN preamp section off when running a separate preamp, which sets the volume on the CXN at its max position so that you can control the volume via the separate preamp, I do know how this is supposed to work.

Also, I did a factory reset on the CXN along with powering it down by unplugging it after the second volume spike, along with reloading the Stream Magic app, as that was randomly quitting in the middle of tracks too.

When this volume spike happens, the connections are XLR out of CXN into amplifier(s). RCA outputs to two SVS SB3000 subwoofers. The first spike, the CXN was attached to the XTZ Edge A2-400 amplifier via XLR, RCA out to subwoofers.

The second time, we had the Schiit Freya S preamp (And yes, I did turn off the CXN preamplifier before hooking up my Freya S). The RCA outputs on the CXN feed two SVS SB3000 subwoofers (When the Freya S was being used as a preamp, connected to the Schiit Gungnir DAC, the subs were attached to the Freya S RCA outputs). The Freya was feeding the XTZ Edge A2-400 amplifier when the CXN spiked the first time with the Freya.

The third time, I used my Emotiva XPA2 Gen 1 amplifier direct to the CXN via XLR, along with the two subs via RCA, the same volume issue there too, that is when my speaker failed. This volume spike issue is happening on both the XLR and RCA output stage with the CXN preamp on and or off, no matter what I have connected.

So, as you can see I tried two different amplifiers and one other preamp to rule out the culprit, the only constant is the Cambridge CXN when this issue arrises. The first two times this happened, the Stream Magic app suddenly quit for no reason using Qobuz. I restarted the app and the volume was now at full volume. It was a very muffled sound, like a mixture of deep bass test tones emanating from both the speaker(s) and sub(s). The remote would not function on either the volume or power side, I had to physically get up and unplug the CXN.

I did see that the Azur 851N, the supposed big brother to the CXN V2 was having issues with the Right audio out channel. I have read more than a few reviews from owners stating just that, and more than a few lost a speaker. This was the main reason I went with the CXN V2. Stupid me...

So, I could not tell if this was happening on both of the L/R CXN channels or not, it was that loud, but it was the right speaker that did fail.

I have a ticket in with Cambridge and will be calling Overture Audio in Ann Arbor MI to see if we can swap this out for a Bluesound Node, I will use my Schiit Freya S and Schiit Gungnir DAC for sound processing. I'm also looking at a Vincent preamp, with tone controls, hybrid tube unit. May pick up one of those too. I really wanted to like the Cambridge, but I can no longer trust the brand. It was fun until all of the issues arose.

Have any of you had these issues? Was Cambridge or your dealer responsive in refunding your monies or taking care of this? I am not interested in a new Cambridge anything at this point.

EDIT: I tore apart my speaker, checked the drivers with an ohm meter, all is fine. Then discovered right channel in Emotiva amp appears to be blown... A call to Emotiva tech support left us both scratching our heads. I unplugged the Emo and let her sit, I guess she just needed to discharge a bit of juice out of the caps, right channel is now working. Everything is working.

Now, Overture Audio in Ann Arbor, this CXN unit was purchased from them three weeks ago... They are going to get back with me, as I wanted to return this for a BlueSound Node, which they sell. They said it is possibly too late for them to help me out, can you believe that crap? I am still within 30 days of purchasing and they are going to possibly stick me. We shall see what they say.

Last edited:

tgr19641

Novice Member
I just purchased the Cambridge CXN V2 Network Streamer, while using the preamp outputs direct to my amplifier(s) the volume spikes to the moon. I also just purchased the KLH Model 5 speakers... Well, I am down to one. We are waiting on parts or sending the KLH back for a new one. Audio Advisor in Grand Rapids is helping me out in this situation. I hope I can simply get parts, or I will purchase a new one.

Back to the Cambridge CXN...

Initially, in my mind, this was a settings issue, as there were issues setting up a separate preamp, no sound, and then everything worked. And yes, I did turn the CXN preamp section off when running a separate preamp, which sets the volume on the CXN at its max position so that you can control the volume via the separate preamp, I do know how this is supposed to work.

Also, I did a factory reset on the CXN along with powering it down by unplugging it after the second volume spike, along with reloading the Stream Magic app, as that was randomly quitting in the middle of tracks too.

When this volume spike happens, the connections are XLR out of CXN into amplifier(s). RCA outputs to two SVS SB3000 subwoofers. The first spike, the CXN was attached to the XTZ Edge A2-400 amplifier via XLR, RCA out to subwoofers.

The second time, we had the Schiit Freya S preamp (And yes, I did turn off the CXN preamplifier before hooking up my Freya S). The RCA outputs on the CXN feed two SVS SB3000 subwoofers (When the Freya S was being used as a preamp, connected to the Schiit Gungnir DAC, the subs were attached to the Freya S RCA outputs). The Freya was feeding the XTZ Edge A2-400 amplifier when the CXN spiked the first time with the Freya.

The third time, I used my Emotiva XPA2 Gen 1 amplifier direct to the CXN via XLR, along with the two subs via RCA, the same volume issue there too, that is when my speaker failed. This volume spike issue is happening on both the XLR and RCA output stage with the CXN preamp on and or off, no matter what I have connected.

So, as you can see I tried two different amplifiers and one other preamp to rule out the culprit, the only constant is the Cambridge CXN when this issue arrises. The first two times this happened, the Stream Magic app suddenly quit for no reason using Qobuz. I restarted the app and the volume was now at full volume. It was a very muffled sound, like a mixture of deep bass test tones emanating from both the speaker(s) and sub(s). The remote would not function on either the volume or power side, I had to physically get up and unplug the CXN.

I did see that the Azur 851N, the supposed big brother to the CXN V2 was having issues with the Right audio out channel. I have read more than a few reviews from owners stating just that, and more than a few lost a speaker. This was the main reason I went with the CXN V2. Stupid me...

So, I could not tell if this was happening on both of the L/R CXN channels or not, it was that loud, but it was the right speaker that did fail.

I have a ticket in with Cambridge and will be calling Overture Audio in Ann Arbor MI to see if we can swap this out for a Bluesound Node, I will use my Schiit Freya S and Schiit Gungnir DAC for sound processing. I'm also looking at a Vincent preamp, with tone controls, hybrid tube unit. May pick up one of those too. I really wanted to like the Cambridge, but I can no longer trust the brand. It was fun until all of the issues arose.

Have any of you had these issues? Was Cambridge or your dealer responsive in refunding your monies or taking care of this? I am not interested in a new Cambridge anything at this point.

EDIT: I tore apart my speaker, checked the drivers with an ohm meter, all is fine. Then discovered right channel in Emotiva amp appears to be blown... A call to Emotiva tech support left us both scratching our heads. I unplugged the Emo and let her sit, I guess she just needed to discharge a bit of juice out of the caps, right channel is now working. Everything is working.

Now, Overture Audio in Ann Arbor, this CXN unit was purchased from them three weeks ago... They are going to get back with me, as I wanted to return this for a BlueSound Node, which they sell. They said it is possibly too late for them to help me out, can you believe that crap? I am still within 30 days of purchasing and they are going to possibly stick me. We shall see what they say.
hey, how are ya im not sure if you have already remedied the spike but for me its not a spike it is how the cxn is in its default settings which is mindblowingly moronic. when you click on the streamagic setting button scroll down and you will see volume level at 100 % and below preamp mode . ok if you change the volume level to 10 $ there then doing your best to control the volume via the app or your phone etc.. when you do a factory reset or simply manually change preamp mode to off if that amp is on your getting blown through the wall again because it resets to 100 % i also learned the hard way 3 or 4 times . interestingly enough i just left a post on cambridges' facebook page listing some of my major disappointments which are similar to yours . they have really no manual , no info on the app and their so called support with dopey atrticles . i get different quality on tidal, then qobuz , qobuz is sometimes unlistenable unless played through the app . that being said when the machine is working well it sounds spectacular so good luck going forward . tgr19641

Khazul

These are the reasons why I just cannot wean myself off having a something approximating a normal analog volume control stage somewhere in my chain. Too many software glitches coupled with a lack of fail safe software design over too many years.

Justruckin

Novice Member
hey, how are ya im not sure if you have already remedied the spike but for me its not a spike it is how the cxn is in its default settings which is mindblowingly moronic. when you click on the streamagic setting button scroll down and you will see volume level at 100 % and below preamp mode . ok if you change the volume level to 10 $ there then doing your best to control the volume via the app or your phone etc.. when you do a factory reset or simply manually change preamp mode to off if that amp is on your getting blown through the wall again because it resets to 100 % i also learned the hard way 3 or 4 times . interestingly enough i just left a post on cambridges' facebook page listing some of my major disappointments which are similar to yours . they have really no manual , no info on the app and their so called support with dopey atrticles . i get different quality on tidal, then qobuz , qobuz is sometimes unlistenable unless played through the app . that being said when the machine is working well it sounds spectacular so good luck going forward . tgr19641
I cured it, I returned the unit and bought a Bluesound Node along with a Denafrips Ares II... I was so impressed with the Ares II that I bought their Iris DDC, the Hades preamp and Thallo amplifier... Very happy, and the sound out of my Model 5's through this setup has transported me back to my youth! Very happy! Pontus II in my future, then this journey ends. ;-)

Justruckin

Novice Member
These are the reasons why I just cannot wean myself off having a something approximating a normal analog volume control stage somewhere in my chain. Too many software glitches coupled with a lack of fail safe software design over too many years.
I learnt my lesson... Got rid of the CXN V2, went with the Bluesound Node and the USB out, to the Denafrips Iris DDC - Ares II DAC - Hades Pre - Thallo amp - KLH Model 5 speakers... Audio Heaven! And no more digital volumes in the chain.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom