Cambridge Audio CXA60 with Monitor Audio Bronze 2?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Dan1972, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Dan1972

Dan1972
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

I recently purchased the CXA60 to replace my elderly Sony TA FB 940R QS series, which I had running Mission M71 standmounts on Atacama audio stands.

The Sony and Missions were a good combo and delivered a solid sound, but I'm now wondering if the CXA is limited by the elderly Missions.

Would the Monitor Bronze 2's be a good match? I'd be looking at standmounts and around a £300 limit.

The room is a fairly typical 4m x 4m ish, carpeted, and with plenty of soft furniture, books etc to soak up sound, and the speakers would be in a small bay window, with about 25cm between them and the wall.

I listen to a wide range of pop/ rock/ dance etc, but with a slant towards more bass heavy tracks.

As an added consideration, I'd like the new fronts to be useable with my existing Mission front centre and wall mounted rear speakers, that I run on a separate AV amp for watching films.

Thanks!

2. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +794
    The bronze would be something of a sideways step imo. And certainly the amp deserves something better. Like these for instance

Monitor Audio Silver 1 Speakers Rosenut (Open Box) | eBay

Or these, better for bassier music in all likelyhood (slightly bigger cabinet).

Monitor Audio Silver RX2 Stand Mount Speakers Oak | eBay

And whilst it would be ok to keep your current missions for rears it would be good practice to replace the centre with a model from the same manufacturer. Preferably the same model line.

Selling your current centre and M71s will help cushion the blow.

3. Dan1972

Dan1972
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You were right about the MA Bronze 2's being a step sideways- I listened to them next to my Missions, and if anything, the 17 year old Missions handled the bass more roundly.

Other than that, they were very similar in character and performance.

In the end I went for some Dali Zensor 3's and only paid £200 for them due to £100 discount for buying the CXA60.

I think they match the amp well, and I'm pleased with what I got for a £700 outlay. :)