1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cambridge Audio Azur540Rs or Denon AVR-1905

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by craynerd, Aug 16, 2005.

Tags:
  1. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cambridge Audio Azur540Rs or Denon AVR-1905

Well i`ve decided to go for a home cinema setup and just discussing the LCD to go for in the other forum, but when it comes to budget amps i`m completely baffled by these two!

I mean just looking at the makes i`d fling myself at the denon every time, yet reading all your positive rants on the CA 540R i`m slightly confused! March ed What Hifi s&V gave the CA azur and dvd combo 5 / 5 and the amp alone a 4/5. Yet gave the denon combo 4/5 and the amp alone a 5/5 !! Its more than likely i`ll get a matching system just for the asthetics but my mind is in a mess between these two.

So can anyone shed some light over these two systems!!!?? Its also vitally important i get a good audio music sound from sterio, so should i buy a seperate sterio amp ?

Chris

2. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Cambridge benfits from the addition of a power amplifier for the front speakers.

3. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yep like i say, the more you guys speak and i read your reviews, the more the CA is bigged up. BUT i like Denon stuff, and so i`m just getting confused!

4. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I chose the CA simply becuase it was different, whether it actually performs better or not would take some auditioning.

5. systemsdead

systemsdead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,263
  6. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    the azur beats the 1905 for music and imo is on par for movies. i preferred the sound of the CA to the previous yamaha (650, and in some ways 750) but havent heard the x57s. its a fantastic sounding amp and has bucket loads of effortless power compared to most amps in this range.

7. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    oh and re-reading your original post you will not get anything close to the stereo quality of the azur near £250 in an AV amp! any AV amp will benefit from an extra power amp, but the azur is so good in stereo you won't need one. :)

8. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    if you like the Denon then dont get confused ,buy it! And if you like music then at later date you could buy a decent integrated amp

9. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    Or get a decent integrated ( audiolab 8000) like I did.Connect preouts of receiver to tape line in ( amp)and line out (amp) to an aux input in recieiver. Then connect cd player to cd input in amp whilst all the digital connections are made between , say, DVDp and Sky box to the relevant Receiver inputs.The front L/F speakers are connected to the amp and all the other speaker connections go to the receiver. When playing music you obviously only use the amp and regulate the volume accordingly. When playing movies then set the amp volume at 12 o'clock and use the receiver knob to regulate volume. It works a treat!
    You might also consider a Yamaha receiver as most people think they are the best for movies.

10. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    la gran siete thats a good idea but the sounds then going through 2 pre-amps each with their own sound surely its a bit hit and miss whether two will work well together? i still think that at the price an azur will satisfy stereo needs for long enough, until a decent power amp can be added, thats what I did and it sounds out of this world considering it was £250 and very good power amps can be had for about £80 on ebay.

11. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    Works fine actually. Mind you I have a Harman Kardon receiver with its own in built sound calibrating system which calibrates the sound for each speaker correctly but one can use a sound metre.Dont ask me why it works it just does and was recommende to me by other Av Forum members. It seems the amp becomes a slave to the receiver when in AV mode
    Any way if the Azur works fine on cd than all well and good but most AV receivers are not rated highly for their music capabilities.

12. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What LGS suggests was perhaps fine for ten years ago, but these days most AV equipment is a little more sophisticated.

Using two amps is a little over the top when carefull auditioning would take away the need.

Good choice of sources would gain more benefits, after all, **** in equals **** out, as the sayiong goes.

13. alphabet

alphabet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As mentioned a few times here, the CA has loads of reserve power, is excellent in stereo and AV modes and comes at a good price.

However if you are looking for all kinds of bells and whistles instead of honest sound, then consider something like the Denon or Yamaha.

14. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bells and whistles arent necessarily gimmicky and can be quite handy. I think kay might have a word in this seeing as he has the Denon 2105....kay ???

15. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Marantz 4500, the sound quality of the CA with the features of the Denon...

16. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    all I can say is that my audiolab amp has liberated my receiver in that more power goes to the centre speakers resulting in dialogue whioch is much easier to follow.

BTW the suggestion was put to me by a resident Mod and I have to assume he knows what he is talking about. All I need now is a decent DAC.

What craynerd needs to do is to go and found out for himself. Our opinions are just that-opinions

17. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    A good power amp is allways a good route to go with an integrated AV receiver... :thumbsup:

18. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    la gran siete i was not sniping at the idea, sorry if it came accross that way, i just think it brings in more variables to consider when matching up components, and hence needs demo-ing. :)

19. alphabet

alphabet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reference to bells and whistles pertains specifically to the price range that the CA and 1905 play in.

My personal feeling is that in that price range the less the manufacturer spent on additional features, the more quality could theoretically go into the sound portion of the electronics. In my humble opinion, that is exactly what was done with the CA 540R.

During the past year I had a Yamaha RX-V450 as well as a RX-V650 and honestly they could only compete with the CA in movie modes(The 650 at least!) In stereo mode they do not even come close to the CA.

Yes as mentioned the Marantz 4500 is also a good option - I have auditioned that and the 5500 - but to my opinion, for what it is worth, the CA still had the edge.

20. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Cambridge isnt all that. It gets very hot, even when doing no work, has some annoying traits which would make be buy something else when the time comes.

21. alphabet

alphabet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As with everything, we all have our own opinions about different things - that is what makes life interesting! :)

Yes, the CA does get hot, but so does my PC, my wife(When I tell her about my next upgrade!) although I feel that the heat is not that excessive, it has not caused any problems thus far so it seems to be "normal"

I suppose the best advise would still be, audition, audition, audition until you find something you like and that fits in your budget.

22. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The CA is interessting, but you can buy the Marantz or Denon at lower prices in the net.

As for the Bells and Whithles... 100% agree!

As for the heat... processores are computers and get hot...

23. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After owning a TMA AV32R DP and an AV192R, the CA gets too hot for what it does.

24. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    lol, this is so damn hard. I dont really understand what the significance of the system getting hot has? like someone said, my computer gets hot and so does my phone charger, it doesnt hinder it in any way and besides it aint gonna be on for longer than 3 hours at a time!

I`m still swaying towards the CA yet the denon system is pulling me towards it because of its name!

25. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    the significance is that you cant put anything on top of it, its very nearly "fresh mug of coffee" hot on the top!

26. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    just go with your instincts but whatever you do audition before you buy that is the most important advice anyone can give you. Guess you have to start somewhere and I started with DENON 1800 which was poor with music . Now I have a Harman Kardon 5500 which I'm quite pleased with but if I'd known what I know now I would have have kept the Denon , bought an audiolab amp ( for music) and saved about £ 600.
    I guess if I was starting now I would listen to both the receivers you mention thought of the relative merits of each ,ie music and features, and made my decission based on that.Trust you instincts.

27. alphabet

alphabet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep! As mentioned let your ears decide and don't be swayed by the name alone.

28. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys, in was gonna go and order my CA 540r in richersounds yesterday, but at work just hours before, i pulled up the pricerunner.co.uk "detailed product descriptions" and compaired them. I have copied the info given below. Please take time to have a look, there looks a lot of text but i can assure you it is obvious to see the difference!!! There looks to be less than a half of the audio and video ins and outs on the CA than the denon...have they got this wrong and is this a major concern. I will be wanted to connect a dvd through to a wall mounted (therefore wall chased wires!!) tv, a CD player, a Digital tuner, and maybe my computer wirelessley at some stage (but not immediately ). Like i have said previously in this post i will be playing both audio and movies.

Denon 1905
    Dolby Digital 5.1 Yes
    Dolby Digital EX 6.1 Yes
    DTS ES 6.1 Yes
    DTS NEO:6 Yes
    DTS 96/24 Yes
    Dolby Prologic Yes
    Dolby Prologic II Yes

Front A/V input Yes
    5.1-channel input Yes
    7.1-channel input Yes
    Audio Inputs: Analogue 7
    Audio Inputs: Digital coaxial 1
    Audio inputs: Digital optical 2
    Audio outputs: Analogue 2
    Audio outputs: Digital optical 1
    Subwoofer output
    Video inputs: Components 3
    Video inputs: Composite 4
    Video inputs: S-Video 3
    Video outputs: Components 1
    Video outputs: Composite Yes
    Video outputs: S-Video 2

Cambridge audio 540r
    Dolby Digital 5.1 Yes
    Dolby Digital EX 6.1 Yes
    DTS ES 6.1 Yes
    DTS 5.1 yes
    Dolby Prologic Yes
    Dolby Prologic II Yes
    Audio inputs: Digital coaxial 1
    Audio inputs: Digital optical 3
    Audio outputs: Digital optical 1

Subwoofer output ... (no listed, however i presume thats a misprint?)

Is the CA really this limmited with regards to connectivity?
    Chris :suicide: :suicide:

29. Bolf

Bolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Wait for the Cambridge Audio 540r Ver.2 or the NEW 640R!!!!.

Seen the pre release models today , wow is all i can say.

30. jonandjen

jonandjen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Where did you see them ?

Any info on the web etc ??

Regards,

jonandjen