1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cambridge Audio Azur540Rs or Denon AVR-1905

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by craynerd, Aug 14, 2005.

1. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well i`ve decided to go for a home cinema setup and just discussing the LCD to go for in the other forum, but when it comes to budget amps i`m completely baffled by these two!

I mean just looking at the makes i`d fling myself at the denon every time, yet reading all your positive rants on the CA 540R i`m slightly confused! March ed What Hifi s&V gave the CA azur and dvd combo 5 / 5 and the amp alone a 4/5. Yet gave the denon combo 4/5 and the amp alone a 5/5 !! Its more than likely i`ll get a matching system just for the asthetics but my mind is in a mess between these two.

So can anyone shed some light over these two systems!!!??

Chris

2. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    come on guys! no help??? Not like they are totally different machines, CA £250 and the denon is £300 !!!

Which would you go for, why and what can you tell me about the two units!!! :lease: :suicide:

3. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,767
    Cant really comment on them as I havent heard them but I would say that as they both seem to rate quite highly its just a question of traking a chance and making a choice but as always the recommendation is go and listen to them with your preferred choice of DVDp and Speakers before maiokg your mind up. What would personally do ( and what I have done) is buy a good integrated stereo amp, connect to either of the two recievers you mention to get the best effects ,especially if you like music as well.

4. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    can you just explain that because i`ve never heard of that before!! So your saying to get a sterio amp as well as the av reciever ?!?! how does that work?

Chris

5. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,338
    craynerd - I don't know if you are aware that there is a forum for discussing integrated amps/receivers http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44 which deals more with home cinema. This one mainly deals with stereo equipment for music.
    You will get some great advice about maximising music performance here (like using a dedicated amp for stereo) but if you are looking for posts about the relative merits of those two amps you would do well to look into the other forum too.

6. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've owned the Cambridge for nearly two years now.

If you can live with some of the annoying foibles, its a fine amp - if you cant, its the most infuriating thing I've ever owned...

Front speakers definitely benefit from a power amp upgrade.

7. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ok sorry, i`ll repost in the appropriate forum!

WITH REGARDS to the music side of things, which to me will be equally important as the homecinema side, if i got one of these recievers, what could i do then/or what should i do to make sure i get a good music audio quality??

Chris

8. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    buy a big power amp for the fronts. it seems to perform better that way with music a movies

9. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,767
    Or get a decent integrated ( audiolab 8000) like I did.Connect preouts of receiver to tape line in ( amp)and line out (amp) to an aux input in recieiver. Then connect cd player to cd input in amp whilst all the digital connections are made between , say, DVDp and Sky box to the relevant Receiver inputs.The front L/F speakers are connected to the amp and all the other speaker connections go to the receiver. When playing music you obviously only use the amp and regulate the volume accordingly. When playing movies then set the amp volume at 12 o'clock and use the receiver knob to regulate volume. It works a treat!
    You might also consider a Yamaha receiver as most people think they are the best for movies. :)

hope that helps!