1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cambridge Audio Azur540R Lipsync problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Riva, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my new set up for a few weeks now and am having a few problems with lipsync. The problem seams to get worse the longer the system is running, and i cannot get the audio/visuals to sync. Do any other 540R owners experience similar problems and can anyone suggest a fix or is there a fault?

The kit I am using is -
    SAGEM HD-D45 screen connected via dvi-d to-
    Cambridge Audio DVD79 player connected by digi coaxial via SAGEM SPDIF to-
    Cambridge Audio Azur540R av reciever

Any one?? :lease:

Chris

2. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease:

3. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Riva

I had the same Amp and DVD as you and had the same Lipsync problem, Its is a known problem when connecting a DV79 to a screen via DVI and as that was my then prefered method I swapped it out and got a Pioneer 575.

I also swapped the Amp and went for the Yamaha 750( but for a different problem!!!).

Had alsorts of issues with Plasma, DVD, Amp and Sub so I took the whole lot back to RS ( sounds like you maybe a customer of theirs) and they, whilst initially not keen, after a bit of prompting from me they could not have been better and swapped everything out without a problem and even opened the shop early on good friday so we could get it all sorted before they were full of customers!!

I hope this helps shed some light!! Shame about the DV79, its a nice DVD player But I am Very happy with the Pioneer which I think has an even better picture out put via component and is Cheaper!! but no DVI.

Good luck

Chris

4. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Chrper!! Helps alot. Im actually a customer of Richer Sounds, and have just got off the phone to them. They have offered me a new amp to try and poss a change of DVD player. Incidentally what were the other problems you experienced with the Azur 540R? and how does the Yamaha compare?

Regards

Chris

5. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Riva

The problem I had with the 540r was that it would fail to pick up the audio from a SKY box when it was powered on, I had to scroll through the inputs a couple of times before it would eventualy find the Sky Audio.

The Yamaha sounds a bit fuller, it just seems to have a bit more oomph and also has auto setup which is V useful. It also gets a lot of good reviews on these forums within its price range. It will also switch video inputs( except DVI) as well as audio so I now have my audio and video switched by the AMP and thus didnt have to buy numerous input boards for my PWD6 as both Sky and DVD are inpt via component( sky via JS RGB- YUV box). I also upconvert the VCR ( composite) to component ( the picture is awful ) and it as just about watchable!!.

Hope this helps

Chris

6. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chrper

Thanks for the info, may well chop my 540R in for a Yammy. I tried connecting up my DV79 via component leads last night and although the lipsync is no longer the problem the picture quality is awful by comparison - very dark picture (had to turn up the brightness and contrast by approx 25-30 percent) this cant be right as most of us use this connection to watch DVDs. I am leaning more and more towards replacing the dvd player, and I am considering the new Samsung 945/950 with HDMI. Do you think I will experience any similar lipsync issued with HDMI as DVI bearing in mnd it will be a different player? Or is the problem isolated to the CA DV79?

Sorry to go on - but as it looks like I will have to ditch a 7 week old DVD player I dont want to waste another £200!!

Thanks again for your valued input!

Chris

7. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Riva

The other thing that I forgot to mention about the Yamaha it has the lipsync delay feature!! ( 0-160ms) DOH.
    Never tried the DV79 via component but my cheap Pio 575 is excelent via component ( prog scan) and no lipsync!! Maybe worth a look ( £99)

The lipsync problem is an inherant fault on the DV79 so you should get the option of your money back or an exchange ie not fit for purpose etc!!

I had mine about 7 weeks and they took mine back!! so dont let it cost you money!!

Have fun

Chris P

8. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chrper

When you say this is a known fault with the DV79 via DVI, what evedence do you have???

9. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Riva

RS admited to me that it was a known fault when outputing video via DVI, I also did a search for info on the DV79 and found that we are not alone and folks in an american forum had found the same problem.

So it is not down to the unit it is a design fault!!

In all cases I found they had returned the unit and either got the money back or taken a replacement unit from another manufacturer.

Dont be put off by the 28 days talk, simply explain that it is a design fault and you would like a refund as it is not doing what they say it should do!!! ie play back DVDs via DVI output without lipsync!!

I was very nice to them and simply asked if they would put up with having to watch films with a lipsync problem, you can guess the answers I got.
    Hope you get some joy from them!!

Good luck

Chris P

10. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks!!

11. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chrper,

Swapped DV79 for Pioneer 575 and the azur 540R for a Yamaha 750 WOW what a difference.
    Pictures are crisp and alive and the sounds is simply stunning!!

Thank you again for your assistance in this matter your help was invaluable.

Hapy Days! :clap: :clap:

Chris

12. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having seen a number of posts about the 540R in the last few days I think we are both better off with the Yamaha!!

Glad that the pioneer 575 is living upto my recomendations!!! ( sigh of relief).

There is a good Thread on the 575 where it was compared to a couple of other players in the same price band, it gives a good run through of the best setting etc, I have since set mine to the same settings ( cant remember what they are!!) and things look even better. Might be worth a search.

Anyway Glad its all worked out, funny realy when you think that both amp/dvd combinations are about the same price but the differences are almost chalk and cheese.

Have fun

Chris P