• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Answered Cambridge Audio Azur 640A vs. Pioneer A-300X?

sugarmagnolia

Standard Member
Seen both of these amps for pretty decent prices on eBay, with both of them having great reviews. Trouble is, I have no idea which is better than the other, or if they're as good as one another, or if one is many leagues above the other.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Are you going to post a new thread every time you visit eBay? What's that now, a dozen "What shall I buy" threads?

Just buy something & if you don't like it sell it & buy something else!

Last edited:

Nico72

Prominent Member
The CA 640 A was introduced in 2003, while the Pioneer is from the early '90s. I would avoid buying a 25 year old amp, no matter how well it was reviewed back in its day.

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Are you going to post a new thread every time you visit eBay? What's that now, a dozen "What shall I buy" threads?

Just buy something & if you don't like it sell it & buy something else!

Agreed. Out of the many threads the OP started and responded to by others, only a few has the OP responded back to the posts made. It will fast get tedious and to the point where folks can’t be bothered to answer. As been the case for many of them. You should keep all your qustions on one thread rather than start a new thread every time you don’t get the answer you want to see.

Nothing wrong with asking. if you don’t know, ask but You are asking all these questions (which all seems to be on the same subject/amps) but not finding out for yourself. We’re not you and can’t tell you what you will like or walk you up to the counter to pay.

So..
Set your budget
Make your choices.
Go listen if possible to the choices or buy the Choice.

Last edited:

sugarmagnolia

Standard Member
Agreed. Out of the many threads the OP started and responded to by others, only a few has the OP responded back to the posts made. It will fast get tedious and to the point where folks can’t be bothered to answer. As been the case for many of them. You should keep all your qustions on one thread rather than start a new thread every time you don’t get the answer you want to see.

Nothing wrong with asking. if you don’t know, ask but You are asking all these questions (which all seems to be on the same subject/amps) but not finding out for yourself. We’re not you and can’t tell you what you will like or walk you up to the counter to pay.

So..
Set your budget
Make your choices.
Go listen if possible to the choices or buy the Choice.
I completely understand both of you, and I do apologize for creating so many useless threads. I'm just that type of person who, and I'm not quite sure how to explain it, wants to get ALL the information on something before I buy it, e.g. how It compares to another thing, the build quality, sound quality, size or anything really so that I'm 100% certain I'll be satisfied with it and don't need to worry about wasting money on something there's a chance I wouldn't like. I guess in my head I had the idea that if I carried on in only one thread then I'd only be talking to a small amount of people so I went ahead and, stupidly, created a thread every time I spotted something interesting on eBay so that I'd get a variety of people answering and a variety of opinions but now I realise that, yes, I should've just carried on in one thread and got things sorted there and then. I won't be posting anymore anyways, since I decided on an amp and I'm going to stick with that decision no matter what rather than wasting time hunting for a 'better' one that I'll probably end up never getting. Besides, I know it's a good amp too with great reviews and one that fits well with my speakers. If I do ever post here again, I know how it works now and I promise you I won't up posting a billion threads a day haha, I'll just keep my questions contained into one simple thread. Cheers for helping me realize I was being silly lads, have a good one!

P.S. I'm fairly new to Hi-Fi and don't want my first 'proper/quality' setup to be a disappointment, which I know is most likely not gonna happen (considering what I'm upgrading from) but I still want information on other amps and things to be safe.

Last edited:

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Glad you have settled on something.

The things is, what sounds great to my ears may not be the same for you or anyone else. So it’s boils down to opinions and preference which everybody has and will differs. Too many opinions will either put you off or confuse the heck out of you.
The 640a is a very decent amp. I very much like its sound when paired with wharfedales. Buts that’s my opinion. That particular Pioneer I have no clue but have heard others and I like. But I wouldn’t have either. The pioneers too old and 640a and other CA amps at that time were prone to cutting out after switching on or after a few mins. Too many reports on this for my liking. Not such an issue on more recent models as there’s not many if any reports on it.

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
If you gave a budget then alternatives can be given. Also details of what genre(s) you like to listen to and how you like to hear it. i.e Very detailed, Bass heavy, emphasis on vocals, etc.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom