Cambridge Audio Azur 540r

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by lostinspace, Apr 30, 2004.

1. lostinspace

lostinspace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    Due to the wife buying new furniture my existing amp(Marantz 4200)doesn't fit the new cabinet.So it's her fault I'm now looking at something which is physically a little smaller.Does anyone know anything about the CA Azur540r?It seems to be so new I can't find any reviews on it.The Marantz I have is nice but looks like a big black brick,and the CA is 6.1 so it would be an upgrade in capabilities to what I'm used to.

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    Reviewed in this months (June) HiFi World- 4 globes and a thumbs up. It seems to be a hot runner though so if the space is very confined, it probably still isn't absolutely ideal. I'd reckon on at least 5cm in all directions around it.

3. IsoArska

IsoArska

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems that outside UK, especially here, this amp is "little" overpriced costing about 470 £. And that leads to my question:

Does anyone happen to know any british HiFi-retailers, who ship to EU countries? (and sell CA)

:lease:

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    Well, only RS sell it and they're not normally very keen to export. HiFi Klubben sell it in the rest of Scandinavia- what sort of price are they doing it for?

5. europop1978

europop1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was just about to start a thread about this new A/V receiver myself, so you've saved me the trouble :D

I have been considering upgrading my Panasonic SA-HE90, and after familiarising myself with the best reviewed options headed over to RS to see if they had any Marantz SR5400's in stock. I got talking to the guy in there about what type of thing I was looking for, and he recommended the Azur 540R. He said it hadn't been properly reviewed yet, but the rest of the Azur series had got amazing reviews and this was sure to follow suit. He also claimed that it has exactly the same stereo components/processing as the 540A, so you are getting a £200 worth CD player combined with home cinema capabilities for just £250.

I agreed to buy it and do the 7 day trial where you can just take it back after testing it if you don't want it. I didn't realise RS did this, what a great idea, no pressure to buy! But it turned out they didn't have any 540R's left. So instead I took the 540A home to try out, agreeing that I would take it back and swap it for a 540R when one arrived. I figured, if what he said was true about the 540R being the same as the 540A for stereo, then I'd get a good idea of whether the improvement over my old amp was going to be worth it.

So I've had the 540A for a couple of days, and wow! It's awesome, and the warmth particularly suits classical and film scores, my favourite genres. It's a pure delight to listen to. And I don't think I could ever be satisfied with the sound from my old amp again, so as long as the 540R is just as good as the 540A, I'll be keeping it.

One thing I wonder about 2ch amps vs. multi-channel. On my old amp, I assumed it was natural to have the sub share the bass with the fronts when using it for stereo. I've wondered if the sound from the 540A might be even better if a sub could help out the fronts with the bass? Or is it best for pure stereo not to share the bass?

6. KarlD

KarlD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Europop, when did you visit RS and which store? I like the look of the 540R but for some reason it has disappeared from the RS website. Only the 640A, 540A (2 ch amps) and the 540V (all-in-one box) are still there.

Cheers

Karl

7. europop1978

europop1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Karl, I visited the Cardiff RS on saturday. They had one 540R on display, but none in stock, and I was told they'd have one for me by wednesday. So if you want one just go and ask at your nearest RS I'd say.