1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cambridge Audio Azur 540D How Good?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by JetJockey, Dec 17, 2004.

1. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

I have been considering purchasing a Cambridge Azur 540D DVD player to tie me over until the market stabilizes (DVI, HDMI, HDCP, etc, etc). This is rather than splash out £1K on an Arcam or Denon, etc. These things are now on sale for £199 at Richer Sounds (Puts on Fireproof Overcoat). :blush:

They have had a reasonable write up in a few of the industry Mags and for the price seem reasonable. A friend has one and swears by it.

Has anybody out there bought or auditioned one of these and if so what did they think? I would appreciate any information thank you.

Cheers, Gerald. :)

2. jtf

jtf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i had one and wasn't very impressed. yes it looked nice and the build quality was very hefty but it just kept going wrong so i swapped it for a pioneer 575 which i consider to be better in picture and sound quality

3. megatart

megatart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well i've got the Cambridge audio 540 series CD and reciever and i'm very impressed with both. Just waiting for Richer sounds to have another open box clearance sale and then i'll be grabbing the 540 DVD player too. All the reviews ive seen for it have done nothing but sang praises.

4. ritesh

ritesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In what way? disks not playing, PQ problems, SQ problems.. what?

Ritesh

5. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have one and love it. I bought it for CD playback after auditioning it head to head with the 540C for several hours. I didn't intend to use it for anything other than CDs but it's become my primary DVD player (I have a Marantz DV6400 universal which is not used for anything other than hi-res discs now, but was intended as the main DVD player--PQ on the two are identical on my TV, but the layer change is noticeably faster on the Cambridge and the Cambridge is region-free with near flawless PAL<>NTSC conversion, so movies go into the 540D). Have had no troubles after several months of fairly heavy use. I know this seems like shameless cheerleading, but, well...that's been my experience so far. There are a number of fine players out there, but for my needs (I don't have a prog scan capable TV, so PQ is not as important to me, and audio use in my system is about 70%), nothing at its price point (or notably above) came close for CD playback and the ability to play discs from anywhere is also a big bonus.

6. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had one which I took back for two reason:

1. Picture alignment was well out
    2. Certain subtitles wouldnt play

I thought the picture quality was "ok", and the sound and build quality were great for the price.

When I contacted Cambridge Audio for help with the problems, I was basically "fobbed of". For me, customer service is a big factor in any product.