Cambridge Audio AZUR 540A? or NAD?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by chundle, Jul 25, 2005.

1. chundle

chundle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all

what is the general opinion on the Cambridge Audio AZUR 540A? for that price is there something i should consider instead?

and i would want to get the phono pre-amp -- at richer sounds (linked here:
    http://ws3.richersounds.com/showproduct/CAMB-PM01 ) it shows a picture that looks like it's bare -- does this go inside the amp and is it user-installable? what's it like in anyone's experience? only £20...

now, i don't have the budget for it, but i'd be interested to know would i get a whole lot more by going for Nad C352 ? and as an alternative, how would the Nad C320 BEE compare which is within my budget....?

any pointers gratefully accepted....

2. sennen

sennen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sound-wise, I found the CA 540A a good amp. It was certainly comparable to the NAD I had previously (sorry, can't remember model number, but it was approx 250 quid 8+ years ago!) CA and NAD do sound quite different, and I have to say I preferred the NAD over the CA, but there wasn't much in it and I got used to the CA very quickly. I used B&W 601 speakers with both amps.

Reliability-wise, I had to return my CA 540A twice in its first 6 months. However, I know two people who have this amp and have had no problems. The NAD lasted almost 8 years before it started to break down.

3. chundle

chundle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "CA and NAD do sound quite different"

can you elaborate?
    thanks for your comments...

4. sennen

sennen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    For me, the NAD felt warm, smooth, kind of restrained - but with plenty of detail. The CA, while still very good - you should understand, felt a bit harsher, with more prominent bass, and seemed less kind to poor recordings/sources (e.g. mp3s or DTV radio channels).
    Note also that the NAD I had was a bit less powerful than the CA.

5. milpai

milpai
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own the NAD C352 and am pretty impressed by the music it makes. You will need to compare it with the other amp you mentiones. I have no idea about it. But the C352 has enough warmth and power to get the most out of your speakers. I use the Marantz SA8260 with this amp and the outcome is smooth and wonderful.