Cambridge Audio Azur 340R Query

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Can any owner of the above please give me the actual dimensions as measured...not taken from a website/brochure or user manual please?
Wanting a reasonably good AV receiver mainly for 2.1 use to begin with at an affordable price and having no real need for HDaudio input I decided to go for the 340r.
The main thing that mattered was physical size to fit an existing shelf in my TV unit...at 430(W)X310(D)X100mm(H) as detailed on just about every website it's height was a good 50-60mm smaller than any of the other Onkyo, Sony, Yamaha AV Receivers.
These dimensions are given at Richer Sounds website here and also this product specification sheet at Cambridge Audio...but the Cambridge Audio brochure here gives the size as 430X350X150 which is 50mm taller and won't fit the shelf.
A quick response would be appreciated as my local RS have one in a sealed box (well, that's what the sales guy told me on the phone when I asked if they had it in stock) and I presume they would need to open it to measure it.

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
P.S. a better deal would be to ring around the Richer stores and try and find a 540R V3 most likely the same money but a higher and more powerful AV amp.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
P.S. a better deal would be to ring around the Richer stores and try and find a 540R V3 most likely the same money but a higher and more powerful AV amp.

I had phoned the Glasgow branch asking if they had a 540R or 340R in stock...it was really the 540R I was after as I had seen in the specs it had a higher power output and the same dimensions...I can't remember if I asked him to check the stock at only his or the other branches...I was fully expecting him to say they had no stock and was surprised when he said they had a 340R in stock at Glasgow so I asked him if he would reserve it for me and I'd pick it up today or Monday...think I'll phone him again and ask about 540R stock nationally.
Cheers.

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Just watch out for the different types.
540R V1 = No on screen display
540R V2 = On screen display no HDMI switching
540R V3 = On screen display HDMI switching

Both V2 and V3 need a S-Video or composite link not Component to view the on screen display.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Just watch out for the different types.
540R V1 = No on screen display
540R V2 = On screen display no HDMI switching
540R V3 = On screen display HDMI switching

Both V2 and V3 need a S-Video or composite link not Component to view the on screen display.

Are these version nos applicable to the 340R too?
Would I be correct to assume any 340R or 540Rs sold as new by RS would be V3s?
Is the version no printed on the box?
I would want the V3 version.

Just off the phone to RS in Edinburgh (Glasgow branch tel was constantly engaged) where I asked if there were any 540Rs in stock nationally but no :thumbsdow
I have a new Panasonic Plasma Tv, SkyHD and a PS3 and I have mulled over various threads on the forum and posted a few queries trying to make up my mind as to what receiver I should get...I was originally going to go for an Onkyo or Yamaha and then finally decided on a Sony STRDG820 as it gets good reviews but nowhere has them in stock...I then realised neither it or the others would fit the shelf on my Tv unit and I then discovered the Cambridge Audio AV receivers would...they are a well respected UK designed brand aren't they?
The specs and build quality look good...I take it you're happy with yours?
Although it's a 5.1 receiver if I'm honest with myself I can't see me making full use of it for a while and intend just to use it as 2.1.
I bought (without hearing either) a pair of Tannoy DTS200 "Tallboy" floor-standing spkrs for front R and L and a Yamaha YST-FSW100 subwoofer and I'm now dying to get them hooked up to a receiver and hearing them.
The Tannoys are 6 ohm so I'm presuming as the 340Rs output 50W into 8 ohms using 6 ohm spkrs will give me a little more...perhaps 60-65W.

I'm a newcomer to surround sound...maybe you or someone else could answer a query regarding HDaudio output from a Blu-ray disc and played on a PS3?...if it was connected to a 5.1 receiver which can accept HDaudio over HDMI I know you'll get the full surround sound effects...what if the PS3 was connected to the receiver via optical instead of HDMI...do you still get surround sound?...do the discs have dolby digital on them as well as DTS Trusound?...or to put it this way...using my receiver and spkrs in a 2.1 configuration will I get any surround sound effects?...I realise it'll only be stereo with a bit of bass from the subwoofer.

Last edited:

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Are these version nos applicable to the 340R too?NO
Would I be correct to assume any 340R or 540Rs sold as new by RS would be V3s?NO
Is the version no printed on the box? I would imagine so.

5.1 optical from the PS3 = yes, but not HD Audio.

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Is the version no printed on the box?

Yes. Albeit a label with 540R V3 6.1 AV Receiver

and they only had 3 left in the whole country about 3 weeks ago. I think they are phasing them out as the price had dropped from £350 to £149 within 18 months

JayCee

Distinguished Member
In the end I got the 340R in black from Richer Sounds...of which there is only a version 1.
It is 100mm high and fits the shelf fine...hooked up to my Tannoy HTS200 Tallboys for L/R and the Yamaha subwoofer it sounds great.
One query...can you rename the inputs from say..."Video 1" to e.g. "SkyHD"?

vacalouca

Standard Member
I´m afraid not.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom