1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cambridge Audio and Speakers/ Hifi question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by call me al, Aug 31, 2005.

1. call me al

call me al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,
    I'm relatively new in joining but have used this site to great effect on previous purchases so thanks to all contributors!
    Basically I want a hi-fi. Problem is most these days look like chunky nonsense and the ones that look good sound paper thin(denon-dm35dab for eg).
    Can anyone recommend a decent one for around 500 squids?
    Failing that I'll have to go down the separates route, a path I am not to keen to travel as it can be an expensive one. Also I intrinsically don't like the design of most separates. Surely a CD player shouldn't be the same size as my video?
    I digress.
    Basically I am looking at Cambridge Audio azure 340c or 640c. Is there a great difference? Or just a big one? ANd what would you recommend in the way of speakers for such items? Celestion m10? tannoy m2.5's? mission m70's? Anything from richersounds really.

Sorry if i've not been clear or anything. My dinner's ready.
    Thanks in advance for any help, guidance or advice.

al

2. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,222
    Hi Al,

First of all, welcome :hiya: !

If I were looking at separates for that money I'd look at Rotels. You could pick up 2nd hand RCD-01/RA-02 & speakers for under £500.

If you prefer an all in one system, I have a TEAC Reference 300 MKII system available in the classifieds, also a pair of Castle Richmond 3 speakers...all within your budget.

To my ears this system is just as good, if not better than 'entry-level' separates.

Best of luck in your quest anyway.

Steve :)

3. call me al

call me al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey there SDB :hiya: ta for reply.

As I said separates are a last resort, and I don't really want anything second hand. How is the TEAC system? Loud enough? How much is it going for? Why you getting rid?

Surely someone on here owns a decent hifi they could advertise?

Thanks again for any help/advice

4. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,222
    Hi there,

I have owned many pieces of audio equipment, ranging from entry-level to a system running into many thousands of pounds. However hi-fi, as with most things, is very subjective and everyone has their own take on things.

Anyhow, on to answering your questions; the TEAC system is fantastic and is perfectly as new; whether it goes loud enough depends on your requirements and more importantly the room you'll be using it in. The sound quality is very good and has certainly satisfied all those that have listened to it.

The reason for sale is purely down to domestic needs being greater at the moment. I recently purchased it (brand new) and unfortunately, have to look at selling it now.

As stated, I run it with Castle Richmond 3 bookshelf speakers, which imo are a cut above a lot of other speakers.

I have the above listed in the classifieds section and am open to sensible offers.

Best regards,

Steve

5. call me al

call me al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi again, thanks for reply
    the teac system does indeed look mighty fine and it cold be the very kit for me. It's primary use is for my bedroom but I used to play drums ina band so need that extra underlying power to satisfy my badly abused ears.
    Would the Mordaunt short 902's work well with this? Or Tannoy Fusion 2's? I just dunno.

I can't find the classifieds section.

Thanks

6. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,222
  7. call me al

call me al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey again
    that's it settled, i'm after the teac.
    can a subwoofer be fitted to this system? extra surrounds?
    so now i need the best possible speakers. the castles seem very good but it's all about preference really and sadly I have nowhere near me to hear a test.
    thanks