Cambridge Audio amp & cd: 540 or 640? (640 is cheaper)

liampurcell

Standard Member
I am looking to get my first proper hifi. Budget is about £500.
I demoed some Denon, NAD & Arcam kit in superfi but wasn't that impressed by anything even over my budget. I then went over to Richer Sounds and listened to some stuff and settled on a Cambride Audio 540a v2 amp and 540c v2 cd player and Mordaunt short 902i speakers, which came to about £550.

I also considered not getting a cd player for now (the system will be hooked up to a dvd player anyway), the price was then £370, but I could then upgrade the speakers to the Mordaunt Short Mezzo for a total of £530.

However, when I got home i noticed there is an offer in the back of What Hi Fi from Richer Sounds for 640a v2 amp and 640c v2 cd player and 902i speakers for £400. So it seems like I'd get a better amp & cd player for £150 less. This doesnt make sense. The only difference is they are in silver instead of black

Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks, Liam

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
If you are happy with the CA sound then Jump on it. :thumbsup:

The only reason it so cheap is because it is silver - as you discovered. Most people want black that's why they are still at their original price. Both amp and cdp are rated highly, also if you were to use the dvd to play music it will not sound as good as the cdp unless you get a dac (another £229 for the CA Dac Magic, but there are others to choose from).

There's my 2 pence worth of info.:smashin:

Last edited:

liampurcell

Standard Member
Thanks for the response.
On the 540a, black and silver are both £280, while on the 640a the silver is £200 while the black is £330.
I'd happily put up with the silver to save £130!

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the response.
On the 540a, black and silver are both £280, while on the 640a the silver is £200 while the black is £330.
I'd happily put up with the silver to save £130!

Done deal then!! Get yourself down there tomorrow and sort it.:thumbsup:

Glad to be of help

DD:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom