Cambridge Audio Aero 9 blown, repair it or upgrade?

Alex34

So, my CA Aero 9 sub has blown after 6 years (to the date!) of enjoyment. It's actually the down firing passive driver that has blown, the front facing powered driver is fine. Purchased from Richer Sounds, I noticed they have repair options for products bought from them. Can a sub driver be repaired and if so is it worth going that route? I have no idea what the costs would be.

The failure was not expected so I wasn't planning on blowing £400 - £600 on a new sub but if I have to, what would be good options for a powered replacement? I've looked at the BK P12-300SB-PR and the XTZ 12.17. The BK seems like the closest like for like replacement but I have read some really good things about the XTZ.

To be honest, if I could get away with a cost effective repair and get a few more years use out of the Aero 9 I would be happy. I have a few other things I could be spending £500 on.

TIA for any help!

Alex34

I've managed to take off the passive driver and it's definitely the culprit. The spider has come away from the cone at the glue line and it's causing the rattling. Is this something that is repairable? I have emailed CA about a replacement spare passive driver.

As it is only a passive driver, can any 10 inch passive driver be put in its place?

Last edited:

roscopervis

The passive driver is just a diaphragm so in theory yes, any passive driver that fits should work. Whether the material has different damping characteristics to affect the tuning is probably something that is part of the design, but in your situation, I don’t think it will make much difference.

If you do want a new sub, probably the best bang for the buck is the Monoprice Monolith THX 10, but the SVS 1000 range is also great.

Alex34

The passive driver is just a diaphragm so in theory yes, any passive driver that fits should work. Whether the material has different damping characteristics to affect the tuning is probably something that is part of the design, but in your situation, I don’t think it will make much difference.

If you do want a new sub, probably the best bang for the buck is the Monoprice Monolith THX 10, but the SVS 1000 range is also great.
Thanks for the reply. Never heard of the Monoprice sub but have just watched a few videos about. Seems really good but looks like a large cabinet. The pricing is ideal as well. Will read up on it some more.

Think I will wait to see what CA says about the spare passive driver then go from there.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom