Cambridge audio a500 blowing mission m74s??

BenjaUK

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum please redirect me if I'm in the wrong place etc.

I have a 10ish year old system cambridge audio cd and a500 amp and mission m74's. I recently set it up after it has been stood for several years, every part had issues. But mainly the amp blew, making a nasty electrical smell, and a bass driver went too (I vaguely remember the amp creating a similar smell when I first had it, luckily it was still guaranteed so richer sounds sorted that out). Anyway a friend who knows the ways of electricity replaced the Power driver transistor for one of the channels, and I bought a new bass driver. The system worked fine for a few hours playing, now another driver has blown. I'm sure it would be useful if I knew if it was the same one but I can't work it out at the moment, my friend may remember.

Any ideas what could be the problem?

I understand that it's old equipment and I am happy to start putting together a new system but I can't afford it all at once so part of my question is that I'd like to know if its worth risking some new speakers with the amp?

my question is that I'd like to know if its worth risking some new speakers with the amp?

Simple answer is no, the outputs have blown in this amp, £50 should fix it, with an hours labour and parts.

Hi, thanks for your reply. After reading it I did a bit of research on the issue and it seems to be a common problem with this amp and manifests when the amp gets turned up? How will I know it won't do it again? I want to be able to turn it up if I want! Some people seem to suggest a heat sink upgrade? Sorry if I haven't understood something, I'm not too into electronics.

Any recommendations of good second hand amps that would make a good upgrade? And how much money I have to spend?

i have this amp too. it blew when i connected it to my old monitor audios. my pal replaced the output transistors (i think) for 1 channel, they were a matching pair though (cost £18), but it has been ok since. runs my tannoys fine now.

not sure it's worth spending £50 on, as mine only cost £50 to buy, before i blew it up :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom