Cambridge Audio A5... Any good?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by agw_01, Aug 28, 2004.

1. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A friend of mine recently had to send his NAD C320 BEE back to be repaired. During this time, he had a CA A5 on loan and was deeply impressed.

I never got to hear the amplifier in action, but he said that bass response was as good as, if not better than the NAD. He also said that the CA's reproduction was incredible, again, nearing the quality of the NAD.

I've been thinking of going back to a stereo setup for some time, and was just wondering if anyone could tell me if I should give this amp a listen.

Thanks for any replies.

2. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How much are you looking to spend? There are loads of amps that come in at the £200-£300 bracket. The selection under £200 is actually not as good as you might imagine. Second hand is always a really good way to pick up a stereo amp bargain, as they don't go that much out of date... seeing that 2 channel reproduction has stayed the same for years.

3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    In that price range, secound hand would be a good bet. Amps are pretty good second hand, it's fairly hard to abuse an amp. In that price range it will all be solid state electronics there's not a lot to go wrong.
    You can get some really good bargains. I'm not familiar with your CD Player (How it sounds) so i'll just list a few which are real steals second hand.
    Arcam A80/A85
    REGA Mira
    Exposure 2010
    All sound very different so a brief description of what you listen to would be helpful?

Knight