1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cambridge audio A5. Any advice for a beginner please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Milton, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Milton

Milton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I've recently bought an A5 as the basis of a budget 1st system and been a bit disappointed with the sound. I've tried it with CDs played on a Cambridge dvd55 (heard this was good with audio) and Mission 71i speakers, but found the bass response poor with far too much treble. Is it possible that a fault on the A5 could cause this? Guess it's more likely I'm doing summat wrong, but not sure what.. (I've checked the speakers aren't wired out of phase)
    Any advice gratefully received
    Cheers!

2. zoolander

zoolander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The A5 isnt a bad amp and certainly good value at £120, try get hold of an A1 mkIII, not to be confused with the inferior V3. Older Cambridge stuff is alot better and the mkII is a cracking budget amp especially with mission m71's, my friend has this pairing and the bass is really tight and fast. Does lose control at higher volumes but at normal loudish its fine, can be picked up 2nd hand for about £0 which is a steal, a better amp than the A5 imho. The m71's do have foward sounding treble and as they are small speakers when the volume is turned up they tend to sound peaky at high frequencies and i dont think the Cambridge dvd player can cut it with cd's-heard the azur640cd player and even that was pretty mediocre compared to other budget cd players such as Nad c521i/cd6000ose le. Try biwiring the m71's if u want to improve things on a budget, QED original is a good choice and great VFM.

zoo

3. zoolander

zoolander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The A5 isnt a bad amp and certainly good value at £120, try get hold of an A1 mkIII, not to be confused with the inferior V3. Older Cambridge stuff is alot better and the mkIII is a cracking budget amp especially with mission m71's, my friend has this pairing and the bass is really tight and fast. Does lose control at higher volumes but at normal loudish its fine, can be picked up 2nd hand for about £30 which is a steal, a better amp than the A5 imho. The m71's do have foward sounding treble and as they are small speakers when the volume is turned up they tend to sound peaky at high frequencies and i dont think the Cambridge dvd player can cut it with cd's-heard the azur640cd player and even that was pretty mediocre compared to other budget cd players such as Nad c521i/cd6000ose le. Try biwiring the m71's if u want to improve things on a budget, QED original is a good choice and great VFM.

zoo

4. superkully

superkully
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Milton, I bought an A5 after reading some good reviews and sort of hearing it in the shop and I have exactly the same concerns as you... I think it just needs a bit more running in, I've only used it for about 20-30 hours.

Saying that, in it's current state my 9 year old HK610 pees all over it.