• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

cambridge audio a5 and wharfedale diamond 8.1s--- Quiet!

nerv

Standard Member
i have a cambridge audio a5 and a pair of diamond 8.1s and i'd heard that they were difficult to drive but the A5 amp really struggles with volume. It's not bad since i'm in a small flat but the sound isn't at all as crisp and punchy as i would like... I'm going to fill my speaker stands to try to improve the sound. Any suggestions/ experience of the A5 struggling, anyone?

I'm running music from an ipod so i'm not hugely fussy but i know it could sound better... did i buy a weak amp? :-\

cheers

N

Phlog

The amplifier itself is rated as 60 watts into 8 ohm speakers. Which should be enough, unless you were expecting loads of bass - which the speakers won't provide anyway.

I don't think the amplifier has a special iPod socket, does it? Which leads me to wonder if the iPod is providing a high enough output for the amplifier. In case it's a one off problem do try inputting to another pair of sockets.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom