1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cambridge Audio 79 DVI works with Sagem!!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by johnsagem, Feb 4, 2005.

1. johnsagem

johnsagem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Even with an Arcam DV88 I was getting a terrible picture via the Interlaced Component Input of my Sagem. Text was jagged, images looked washed out and grainy, there was a lot of edge dot crawl/blur and so on. Nothing wrong with the player, looks FAB on a 28"!

I had been looking at getting a Denon 2910 or an Arcam FMJ27 end of line for £700.

But Sagem told me I'd get a big improvement from Progressive Scan, and certainly my JVC D-VHS looks grand via the progressive component input.

I noticed that Richer Sounds were doing the highly regarded Pioneer 575A for £99, but when I popped in to pick one up I spotted the brand new Cambridge Audio DV79 with DVI input.

I asked them if HDCP was enabled - they'd no idea what I was talking about, but recommended I buy Cambridge Audio (nothing to do with the fact they are owned by Richer Sounds of course;-).

They agreed I could take it back if it didn't work, so I bought one £199 + £19.95 for the 3 year guarantee (I've heard CA build quality is a bit shoddy so it's worth doing at that price) + £50 for the DVI cable.

Initially I was disapointed - no picture on the DVI, it doesn't do component progressive, and I got a new level of dreadfulnes on the component/SCART.

No help from the manual, but after a bit of playing about I found that pressing the DVI button cyles through 720p, 1080i, 520p and 480p. The (default) lower resolutions display no picture, but 720p/1080i works a treat!

I went through a selection of disks (Problem disks, Region 1/2/3/4, Archive TV material ...) and initial reaction is very impressive!

I had recently watched T2 on D-VHS so I watched 20 minutes of the Ultimate edition DVD (Disk 1, not the High Def one). Although it was obviously not quite as detailed, the difference wasn't as big as I expected!

Shrek 3D which previously was horrible to watch with the glasses, now looks very impressive indeed!

Archive TV material didn't fair quite so well. Happy days had a layer of snow over it, but was infinately more watchable than previously.

My biggest problem disk, Roots episode 6 which wouldn't play at all on my old Pioneer 525 or X-Box, but plays with only 2 short pauses on my ARCAM (one of which could be the layer change ;-) played for quite a while, but while cycling through the chapters, it kept going back to the same one for some reason.

There seem to be a few minor quirks, for example it seems to default back to the undisplayable lower resolutions when switched off/on, but no showstoppers as yet ...

In summary then, I'm a very happy bunny today! :thumbsup:

Now if only Sagem would sort out the HDCP issue :)