Cambridge Audio 640T - 6kHz background noise in FM

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by apy, Mar 15, 2006.

1. apy

apy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a new 640T tuner. It's a nice unit, well designed and well built, and the DAB sounds as good as DAB ever does.

But ... in FM mode there's a constant and distracting 6kHz background tone. A quick Google search shows that this problem has come up before.

So my question is: do all models suffer from the same flaw? Is it worth trying to exchange for another 640T, or better to go for a different tuner altogether? It would be a shame, given the quality of the rest of the unit, but that 6kHz whistling is very annoying...

Thanks

2. kevin marshall

kevin marshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried A Cambridge 640 and had the same problems with FM in the shop,but I wasn,t sure if it was the crap aerial. I then tried the DAB500 alas with no Fm but bought one and it really is great to listen to

3. apy

apy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Kevin. It doesn't seem to be the antenna; the signal is at 100% strength and runs my old tuner OK. Well, not quite true. It's normally OK, but there's sometimes interference from neighbouring flats which has ruined several recordings, so I thought DAB would provide a backup source for off-days like that. But I still aim to make most recordings from FM, if I can get rid of the background whistling. I'll see if they can exchange mine for another 640, and hope it's not a design fault. But I have a nasty feeling it may be, if you found the same thing.

4. Anorak East

Anorak East
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds to me like synthesiser breakthrough - I have a Philips tv/radio combo in the bedroom which suffers from this, on FM radio. I got a replacement and it's the same. Irritating on headphones, especially on quieter stations like BBC R3 and 4, but tolerable on highly compressed music stations.

I also have a couple of digital-tuning portable radios which exhibit the same problem, so I think it's all down to quality of design. If I were you I would try a different model altogether.