1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cambridge Audio 57 prog scan problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Korum, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was talked into getting the DVD 57 from a guy in Richer Sounds having been ready to buy a Tosh 520.

I got the player mainly to use through component progressive scan but the image is very unstable, I've read the forums and it seems the 57 has a problem with progressive scan.

I just wondered if anyone knows whether a firmware upgrade would fix this as apart from the prog scan problem I'm very impressed with it.

Is the Tosh 520 a better player than the cambridge Audio 57 ?

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    I had a 520 from RS but returned it due to a fault - slight green shift when playing PAL, otherwise, this player was the best I'd seen on my projector, and conparable to a 7XX Pioneer player.

I tried the CA 57, but it's interlaced output was softer in comparison, and not as detailed. Progressive Scan was unwatchable in either PAL or NTSC - PAL was like looking through a net curtain - lots of vertical lines, and NTSC would distort if there was a high contrast/bright scene, such as some explosions in the Times Square sequence of Spider-Man, bright scenes in the MAtrix, and I couldn't even use the needle pulse test from Avia.

I took it back and got a refund.

I had two 520s from them. I returned the first due to the green shift, and loaned a Limit 9900se (good player but less detailed and soft like the CA57. No issues with PS though).

Then they had another 520 in two weeks later, so I swapped the Limit for the 520. Opening the box I found no power lead or batteries for the remote. I had those bits to get it going anyway, but found this model had exactly the same fault as the first one. I then noted that the serial number on the box was different to the one on the player. Looks like I got my original faulty machine back.. :(

In conclusion - the 520 is a great machine, and better than the CA57 in my opinion, but try to get a good one. The green shift is slightly to the left, and it leaves a slight maroon tinge on the r/h edges (mainly noticeable on skin tones like faces). NTSC is perfect though, as is the progressive scan (NTSC only).

The green shift is not really noticable on a tv unless you can zoom into the image and know what to look for. It's quite obvious on a larger projected image though.

I reckon the 55 is the same as the 57, but without DVD-A. They'll sell you the 57 cos it's £50 dearer.

Gary.

3. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    At the risk of resurrecting a long dead thread...

Has anyone else had experience of progressive scan output on the Cambridge DVD57 / 55?

I got a DVD55 hooked up to a Sanyo Z1 projector, and the progressive scan picture isn't very good. It's a lot softer than the interlaced image, with a little ghosting on hard edges and less edge definition than the interlaced image. The image seems to have less contrast too - it lacks the punch of the interlaced image.

It's dissapointing, cos the interlace image looks a lot better when the image is still. But as soon as stuff starts to move around I get jaggies caused by the Z1's deinterlacer. So I though p-scan was the way to go, but I'm not impressed with the overall image quality.

I've tried a few different component cables, and the one I'm using ATM gives a better image than the cheap ones. I paid £50 for 3 metres.

So my question is this...

It the p-scan output on this DVD player just plain bad? Would I get a noticably better image if I swapped the cable for an even more expensive one?

Thanks in advance,

Mr B

4. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I returned the CA 57 to Richer sounds this morning and got a Tosh 520 instead (£30 cheaper as well), I was expecting the same problems with this player as I thought it was a problem with my set.

How wrong I was, the prog scan with the Tosh is outstanding, I just wish it was Pal progressive too.

So there is definately a problem with the cambridge Audio 57 when progressive scan is activated, looks like they may have to recall this product as it's only been out a couple of weeks.

on another note, how does a problem as obviuos as this miss the quality assurance stage

5. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Thanks for the info.

Does anyone else have any experience with these players?

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Korum,

I loved my Tosh, but the green shift meant that I couldn't really watch PAL without getting distracted.

I wonder if you could playu something like Attack of the Clones (PAL) and try to make the image as large as possible to see if you can see the green shift - it only really shows up on large projected imges.

It's noticable more on skin tones - a slight green fringe to the left of a face, and a purple one to the right. The board room scene (chapter 4 or 5 I think) shows this up on Amadalas face and a few others.

I'd love to have a perfect 520 because it produced such a beautifully detailed image. Pro Scan was a little better, but I'd be hapy with just plain interlaced. :)

Mr belowski - the Limit 9900SE produced an acceptable progressive output in both PAL and NTSC. It's interlaced output is very soft though. It's the only one that I've seen that doesn't have issues with PS, so try one one from Richer Sounds. If it's not to your liking, they'll take it back within 14 days.

Cheers.

Gary.

7. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary,

I had a good look at quite a lot of PAL Disks and couldn't notice the colour shift you are experiencing. I suppose it's the fact you have a huge projected image to spot faults whereas I've only got a 32'' screen and faults like that are probably harder to spot .

I hope you find the ideal player for your projector.

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Thanks Korum.

The 520 would be ideal if it didn't have the green shift. I suspect I had a faulty one, and they gave it back to me a second time.

I'm going to wait a few weeks and try again. This time I'll check the serial number on the player to make sure it's a different one. :)

If it's still the same, I'll either try the HK25 or wait till Tosh release the 520 replacement..

Gary.

9. browsking

browsking
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've got a panny ae100 and cam audio dvd55. Really pleased with picture quality on prog scan. Interlaced is ok but softer.........only had problems with one disc 'the great escape' this produces 'jaggies' when on prog scan but fine on interlace............