Cambridge Audio 540S vs Toshiba SD530

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by serdar13, Mar 30, 2004.

1. serdar13

serdar13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Toshiba SD530 just before Christmas and recently tried the Progressive scan through component cables to my Toshiba 42WH36 tv. All I can say it wasn't what I expected with a slight blur to the whole picture and with fast pans the image tended to stutter. After reading a couple of threads on this forum it looks like the Tosh is not up to scratch.

I phoned Richer Sounds and will be trying out a Cambridge Audio 540D to see if its any better.

Has anyone compared both these players and is it worth swapping them or are they as bad as each other?

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    I have a 540D and company loyalty aside (Cambridge Audio is owned by the same company as MS) I am impressed with it. The PS image is good and much more stable than the other Cambridge models. Please ensure however that the 540D you buy is correctly outputting PAL PS as some of the early ones escaped with a bug that only let them do NTSC. It is easily cured by software upgrade if you do find one.

3. serdar13

serdar13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. I will be picking one up this lunchtime so will try it out tonight and post my findings.

4. serdar13

serdar13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'Tons of fun' - I picked up my player yesterday and tested it out and im very pleased with it including progressive scan. I have got a NTSC only PS model so I need the software upgrade - where do I get this from?

Also, do you know if the software upgrade will enable VCD and SVCD playback as it wouldn't recognise any that I had on various brands of cdr?

5. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    To enable VCD
    Press Setup
    Move the cursor over the Speaker Setup menu
    Press Angle on the RC
    Turn SUPPORT MODE to ON
    Press Setup again
    Turn the player off then on again
    Eh Voila :)
    The PAL PS disc should be at the RS you bought it from- if it is not I'm sure AP will receive a call shortly.
    Ed

6. serdar13

serdar13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will try that tonight.

I have contacted Cmbridge Audio and they advised I take back to RS so they can send it off to them for the upgrade. If they have the discs then hopefully they can do it there and then otherwise will have to wait a few days.

7. cjking

cjking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'd be interested to hear how you get on with finding a PAL progressive player.

I was using my old Wharfedale 750 through an Iscan line-doubler to play region 2 disks. This worked fine, but since players are so cheap I thought I'd buy a new Toshiba SD330 so I could use the component inputs of the Iscan instead of S-video I was using with the Wharfedale. It turns out that on macrovision protected disks the top few lines of the picture are shifted sideways. The problem doesn't happen if I substitute an LCD projector for the Toshiba 51wh36p, it also doesn't happen if instead I substitute the Wharfedale player for the Toshiba while keeping the 51wh36p as the display, and it appears not to happen on disks without macrovision such as Digital Video Essentials even when using both Toshiba player and TV.

The reason I am mentioning all of this is that I was thinking of writing off the 6 week old Toshiba player and getting something else, but was trying to raise the issue with Toshiba technical support to see if I would get this problem with other players, in particular the Toshiba 530E.

Technical support are adamant that the *wh36 sets are only compatible with NTSC progressive scan. The fact that I replied and told them that PAL progressive scan works with a different player (which I'd told them originally anyway) made no difference, they are not interested in discussing my problem.

So I am very keen to hear what PAL progressive players people are using with their Toshiba *wh36p.

8. serdar13

serdar13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After weeks of ringing Richer Sounds and Cambridge Audio, I managed to get the upgrade cd from them and upgrade the dvd player. Everything went smoothly but now when i play a PAL or NTSC dvd i still have the option of using either the 'I-Scan' or 'P-Scan' buttons but when i press the 'PAL/NTSC' button i now get a no-entry sign when trying to use progressive scan.

Before the update, i was only getting NTSC, which is why the update was done to enable PAL.

Any suggestions from those who have this player?

9. JayBee

JayBee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick question. How do you tell if you've got a player that doesn't support PAL PS. Is it as simple as not being able to switch to it in the menu option?

10. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    The chances of you getting one now are pretty slight but you will notice a judder on screen and "P/SCAN" will appear. NB this logo will only appear when the unit is switching from PAL to NTSC. If it switches straight to Prog scan you shouldn't see a thing.