Cambridge Audio 540R

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by StuPittwood, Sep 10, 2004.

1. StuPittwood

StuPittwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking to replace my Toshiba SD-42HK (which is dying) with seperate receiver/dvd player.

I'm looking at the 540R because of it's price & it seems to have an ok feature set.

Any opinions/comments/experiences on this model?

I'd also probably go for a Cambridge audio DVD player (probably DVD 57 from richer sounds)

Now .... I'm no expert with these things. would I be able to use the speakers from the tosh home cinema package (8ohm impedance i think) with this receiver?

I also have a PS/2, Telewest cable box (scart only, do Scart to phono/svideo cables exist?) to hook up to this box can you see any probs there?

my TV has two scart plus a svideo/phono socket on the side of the TV, would I get a better pricture with the Svideo or the phono?

Thanks in advance

Stu

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,712
    It has been positively reviewed but do note that some owners report a "click" through the speakers when a digital input engages. Some don't and the couple I have heard seem fine.

Given that they don't look the same and cannot be controlled off the same remote, I would leave the 57 on the shelf and buy a Pioneer 575 instead as it does the works for >£150.

Should be fine

Leave the telewest box going straight into the TV but you could loop the PS2 throught the S-Vid switching with little detrimental effect- been doing it for years with my consoles.