cambridge audio 540r v3

Spock

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone know a price yet? Might wait for it to come out instead of getting a sony amp.

If you are going to wait why not save some more in that time and buy the 640R. You wont be disapointed.:clap:

Available in 1-2 months, retail of £349.95.

Reviews are starting to pop up this month.

Didn't think it would be that much more than the old one! Besides having hdmi
switching, it didn't seem that much different:confused:

hi there

the 540v3 hasnt got the new dolbytrue hd,or dts master audio better off with the onkyo tx-sr605 for £400,more future proof.

hi there

the 540v3 hasnt got the new dolbytrue hd,or dts master audio better off with the onkyo tx-sr605 for £400,more future proof.

For gadgets and gizmos, the 605 is much better but what about sound quality? I'm not to fussed with dolby true hd etc. the hdmi was a bonus. I mean, does the 605 sound much better than any of the other £400 amps available i.e sony1200 etc?

Have a gander at this months Home Cinema Choice, they seemd to like the 540Rv3

Hi Fi news ran a comparism against the Onkyo 605, outcome was the 605 had more features, the 540 had the best sound.

Anyone taken the plunge yet on the v3? They have had both colours in stock online, and currently still have the silver.

I am in analysis paralysis mode at the moment between the v2 and v3, or even stumping up a bit more for the 640R. Any of those would suit me as I am after their musical ability, and the fact they are fairly compact so would fit on a shelf in an alcove.

640r!!

I bought a 540r v2 only 7 months ago, so I'm hoping the v3 isn't a major improvement!!

It seems from the descriptions I've read that the inclusion of HDMI is one of the key differences, which I'm not too fussed about.

I too am considering one of these - like most people because stereo music is important to me.

Richer Sounds do a package of the Cambridge DVD89 + 640R receiver + MS Alumni speaker package, for £1,099.

Looks good value to me, but I can't help wondering if the Alumnis really won't make best use of the 640R's potential ? (My alternative system would be a cheaper amp like the Onkyo 605, but then I could afford say some MA Radius speakers - this gives me the opposite problem !)

Also it is a shame that Cambridge didn't equip their flagship amp with HDMI repeaters (i.e. so they can accept audio over HDMI). Maybe if they bring out a new model it will have this upgrade? Anyone have any news on this?

Looks good value to me, but I can't help wondering if the Alumnis really won't make best use of the 640R's potential ?

We used a 640R to run in the Alumni's when we were working on them. In our listening room (approx 5m x 9m) the results were extremely good, but this will be dependent on the size and nature of your room. But to answer your question, yes, they do make a good pairing. The next step up would be to go for a set of floorstanders at the front, bigger centre, rerars, and sub, which sould, of course, add to the price, but RS may be able to do you a deal on a package. No harm in asking.

Adam

Buy the dvd89 and 640R. Get standmounters if room not big enough for floorstanders get 4 of them for rears. I music is important like for me you need proper size hifi speakers front and back. look at my setup on post.

Get dvd89 and 640R. Look at my setup bottom of post. All from richer. 902i's £150, center £99 i think and sub gale 4070 £119(not the best sub but sounds fine). The centre is now cheaper and they will do a deal on all this stuff. I got 640R for £555. Hows that for a deal 640R for £555.
If music is important you must get hifi standmount type speakers front and rears if room is to small for floorstanders. This means a much better soundfeild for film and music using multichannel. My brother came round last night and heard setup for the first time. Foo fighters acoustic dvd in 5.1. It was quite loud. I left the room came back about 2/3 minutes later his eyes were wide open and watery. i could see the hairs on back of his neck standing up ah ah ah. He was clearly moved by what he heard. i love seeing peoples reaction to this the way they gulp after you turn it down. They go all quite. He seemed to be struggling for words. :clap:
I auditioned amp at richer sounds with a tannoy 5.1 setup they had. Films were ok abit harsh with the smallish saterlites with film. The music video was not as good. When turned it up they sounded like they were getting mullered very harsh. If you want to listen to music with 2channel and sub selected imo very important to have good hifi front speakers. They create a nice soundfeild on their own because they have a good frequency range and with a bit of messing around i now have sub setup perfectly underpinning bass allowing fronts to use whole range instead of it trying to keep up with little saterlites trying to supply all the bass and warmth you get with standmounts/floorstanders get the bigger speakers and let the amp work for you. For £'s spent one word for the sound. SUPERB!!:clap::clap:

P.S
sorry for long post but i love this stuff now. Just need a house in the country where i can listen to it at a good volume.

Right here is abit of a realisation:confused:
On the cambridge web site on the cinema receiver section where you can find the new 340R. It states that, (and this could cause an argument which i feel cambridge are going to need to clarify please. for those of us who spent alot of money on the FLAG ship receiver expecting that of the sound over the cheaper receiver's NON flagship) that the 340R is a 5.1 receiver which most people only need, does not compromise on sound quality which the 6.1/7.1 receivers do . Now i know the 640R has the incognito and the extra amplification i presume is required for the extra channels. But does this mean that the 640R is a big white elephant which came to the market too early and which does not benefit from the latest advanced bass managent and in the words of cambridge audio themselves compromises on sound quality and now possibly obsolete due to its latest budget siblings. Clarification needed before anyone else is possibly ripped of when thinking about buying any of these amps. Or have i completely miss understood what i was buying. Is the 640R just a 540R with incognito and 7.1 capability. I was under the impression it was the best sounding and fullest spected/ featured cambridge audio receiver worthy of FLAG ship title.
AHHHHH let me guess a 640R v2 is just around the corner meaning my 21/2 month old Flagship is already out of date. So in one afternoon i have gone from the luckiest boy to the most brassed off.

Right im just going to go now and listen to my out of date compromissed FLAG ship which i spent alot of money on 2 months ago ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah.
So completely ignor my previouse post get the 340R or the 540Rv2 you don't need 640R at all im talking rubbish

What makes you think the 340R will have as good a sound as your 640R ?

I see your point about the 5.1 in that with the 640R you are paying for 2 extra channels that most people may never use, and that 7.1 can mean compromises on sound quality. But that in iteslf doesn't mean that the 340R will necessarily sound as good as the 640R. There are whole host of other factors, such as the quality of components and these may well be better on the 640R ?

In general anything in the technology world moves on very, very, quickly. Most manufacturers bring out new ranges or tweaks every year or so, so models are no longer 'current' often after 12 months. You can take one of two approaches to deal with this:

1. You are someone who 'has to' have the latest kit, so you continually upgrade. This suits the retailers just fine to get more of your £££ every year

or

2. You buy the very best you can afford at a point in time, and knowing that you have good kit, (which you do my friend), you then keep it as long as it will last - 5 years, even 10 ? Yes your kit will never be the latest available for very long, but who cares?

Your amp is very well respected on these boards - just because newer ones are now coming out does not mean that you made a wrong decision.

And thanks very much indeed for your advice on the CA amps - I am seriously looking at either a 540 or 640 myself now !

Thanks for your reply.
Maybe the post says more about my general mood today.
It is a bit of a rant isn't it? Yes it does sound excellant and generally iam not someone who has to have the latest and greatest. But iam very carefull about how and on what ispend ANY money. But if after alot of homework i am happy to spend out of budget as i did with the 640R it can sometimes feel a bit not good shall we say when you read something which is written as it is on the CA web sit.
I hate to sound like someone who takes for grated what some might only be able to wish for.

Buy the dvd89 and 640R. Get standmounters if room not big enough for floorstanders get 4 of them for rears. I music is important like for me you need proper size hifi speakers front and back. look at my setup on post.

I have a 5.1 set up, which I bought last year from Richer Sounds for 5.1 music listening. I have Mordaunt Short 906i floorstanders for the front, and 902i standmount speakers for the rear. The sound is superb in 5.1, so I wouldn't say floorstanders are a neccesity for rear speakers.

I have a 5.1 set up, which I bought last year from Richer Sounds for 5.1 music listening. I have Mordaunt Short 906i floorstanders for the front, and 902i standmount speakers for the rear. The sound is superb in 5.1, so I wouldn't say floorstanders are a neccesity for rear speakers.

Great - I'm definitely leaning in this direction after yours and andyhill's posts.

What DVD and amp do you use, jl151080?

One further question can I ask both of you, and others - with your MS floorstanders do you find they need a reasonable gap between them and the rear wall? This won't be a luxury I can have - I would have about 4 inches gap. I'd rather know if this will be a problem so I can then change my plans - I would rather not waste my money if this is going to make them sound poor.

Thanks again

Hello again,
My 902i's are close to a wall. one closer than the other. The closest is about 3/4 inches and they both sound the same. I believe they can be placed on a shelf so i think are fine close to walls.

Hi, Firstly I am not in a position to give advice. However, here is my view.

I used to own a 540Rv2. Reason I bought this was cost, size and good reviews. I ran this amp with M-Short Genie's (6.1), reason again cost, size and looks. I was thrilled with this.

For no other reason than wanting Inncognito, HDMI switching and 7.1 I bought the 640R. Again, I am thrilled with this. I have 2 Sky HD boxes, PS3 and DVD89 (Tv only has 2 HDMI sockets).

Yes I think the 640R sounds better (I do like to listed to sound at low volume) so the high power is great. However, based upon sound quality only, the 640R is not £330's worth better.

So my point is, if you don't want incognito or you don't need 7.1 then don't get the 640R and look at the 540Rv3

If you dont need HDMi switching then look at the 540Rv2

If you don't need 6.1 then get look at the 340R

I don't think anybody makes and better sounding Amp than CA at their price points. Yes you will get more features, but at a loss of sound quality.

Andy - Do you use the 7.1 or the HDMI Switching or the inn-cognito. Then is so, you have getting your full value over the 640r which you would not have got over the 540rv2. That inncogniote via 640r is a fantastic way to get multi room audio and multi room video control (I don't use the composite video feeds prefering to go direct with HDMI but, I get full video control via the 640r - this in itself would cost a fortune otherwise)

Mark

Incognito? Whats it all about?

And Mark (and others); I'd be interested to know if you play stereo CDs on your system and what you think of it for that?

Thanks for the posts

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom