1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cambridge Audio 540R or Sony STR-DB795

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Forty, Sep 6, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Forty

Forty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've narrowed it down to these 2 AV receivers.

In fact i'd demo'd the Sony STR-DB790 & then ordered the 795 model as it was advertised with DAB.

The DAB has now been removed so i've cancelled my order for the 795.

I'm not too bothered about 7.1 (which the Cambridge doesn't have) - the main selling point is that the amp has to be good in stereo (i'm replacing a Cambridge Audio A1 mk3 stereo amp).

Anyone any comments about my 2 choices - 540R or the DB795 ?

Thanks.

2. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know what the Cambridge Audio is like in terms of sound quality etc.. but I can tell you that if you ever need to contact Cambridge Audio for technical support, you will NOT be impressed with the company. I have been fobbed off twice by them... I only had a technical query! Most unhelpful! Tried phoning and e-mail several times.. useless.

I bought a Cambridge Audio DVD player only a month ago and have took it back twice for different faults! Although they get good reviews, the editors of the magazines don't get to take the products and use them for a good while... to find out what they're really like.

My advice is to just stay clear of Cambridge Audio all together!

There are so many great makes out there.. Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer... they all make damn good amps. The Azur amp may well be a great amp, but you will always have in the back of your mind "What if it conks out?!".

3. Forty

Forty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

I've had the Cambridge Stereo amp for about 6 or 7 years now & it's worked without a hitch so I have no experience of returning/support from them.

If it did break down I suppose my first port of call would be Richer Sounds (the supplier)

4. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know if all branches are the same, but when I returned with my DVD player, they seemed like a different bunch of people to when they were selling me the thing. Let's just say I felt cheated.

5. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you considered a Yamaha amp? I have the DSP-AX640SE model and am really happy with it. The replacement of it, the DSP-AX750SE is apparently superb, although slightly more expensive than the 640SE. Mind you, I believe if you shop around you can pick one up for around £360, which is a hell of a bargain (RRP £500).

I listen to my 640 in stereo which is very good for an AV amp (I think so anyway), they 750 is said to be much better still. I would get a demo.

Also, I have contacted Yamaha a couple of times with queries and they have been very helpful each time. Customer support is a factor which I consider to be very important.

6. CMB

CMB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 540R is great for music (to my ears, for that price).

I got mine from Richer sounds in Leeds - the only demo kit they had set up was the CA stuff (to be expected I guess, I'm not sure what other stores are like). The Leeds store is a couple of doors away from the sony centre so if you are in west yorks might be worth a trip to Leeds.

7. Forty

Forty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, finally took the plunge & got myself the Cambridge Audio 540R & I have to say that initially i'm well impressed.

It isn't setup properly yet as I only got it yesterday.

As well as the sound it looks stunning & it's half the size of the Sony.

I read a previous post where someone had said they weren't getting an output on the sub in stereo mode - mine seems to be ok.

So if anyone's having a hard time choosing an amp in this price bracket (£250 from Richer Sounds) definitely give this a listen to, you won't be disappointed.