• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Cambridge Audio 540R Centre Speaker problem

gm0x45

Standard Member
Hello,

I would like to know if the owners of the cambridge audio 540R saw this problem before. I'm pretty sure that it's coming from the amplifier. I already mentioned this in the past but I was not sure it was the amplifer. What's happening is that the sound of the centre speaker is not perfect, a bit bummy, struggled a bit to understand the dialogs, then, suddenly, if a loud noise appears in the sound of the movies (like a gunshot), it all becomes very clear, spacy and detailed. If the gunshot appears again, then I can lost this setting and back to the previous annoying configuration. I hope I have a wrong setting in my amplifier (because I'm starting to think to buy a new amplifier and tha'ts not free). I'm not running with a subwoofer, I set large/small for the different speakers I'm using and I'm using the optical input. Any other ideas will be very welcome.

Thanks!

A

alphabet

I have not experienced this problem with my kit.

Maybe I am asking the obvious question, but have you tried a different DVD player? The results I found when I searched for related problems all involved the same DVD player as yours.

munkyboy04

Standard Member
hello, ive never had this problem either

Do you have the same problem if listening to pro logic on the amp or is it just the 5.1?

gm0x45

Standard Member
I haven't tried the pro logic but that's a good idea. I have excluded the DVD player as I'm using the optical output, therefore the dolby decoding is inside the amplifier, the DVD player is just outputing some bitstream which, if it was corrupted, will give me no sound at all. I think I'm right, but ready to argue.

gm0x45

Standard Member
It is not under warranty. I have also tried DTS with the same problem unfortunately. Thanks to all your feedback.

M

musicman1999

what are you using for speakers.Center speaker is well connected and in phase.Was system calibrated with spl meter.What are your speaker settings.Sounds like a speaker related problem.

bill

Carl Stock

Hi, gm0x45. :)

I have not seen this problem before wth my 540R.

If you would like to – and this may reset all of your settings – try turning the 540R off at the mains for around a minute. It sounds daft, I know. After that, once you have turned it back on, press the Reset button on the rear – use a paperclip or suchlike – to reset the 540R. Read the manual to see what I mean. Also, try changing any settings for the centre channel back and forth a few times. I know that sounds equally strange, but it may help.
Also, double-check the wiring to ensure the negative and positive terminals for the speaker cables are all connected correctly at both the 540R and the speakers.

If that does not solve the problem, try the old-fashioned tried-and-tested way of swapping speakers over – put the centre speaker on the left channel and put the left speaker on the centre channel. Does that make any sense? Obviously, if the sound is then poor on the left channel, you have a faulty speaker; if the sound is still poor on the centre channel, you most likely have a problem with the centre channel speaker output on the 540R.

You would of course rather it be a setting or the centre speaker that is at fault. Hopefully, that is the case – let us know. :)

I hope this helps. :)

Regards,

Carl :)

gm0x45

Standard Member
Very impressive answers froma ll of you. Many thanks. My speakers are Monitor Audio Bronze B4, and I believe the centre speaker should be on the "small" setting instead of large. I didn't used a SPL because I'm not quite sure it will greatly improved my setting, but I'm starting to realise that I might be wrong and I will see a difference. I will try to swap the speakers. I will also try to reset the amplifier. Never thought about it, but it sounds like another good idea. Not quite sure why I have to change the setting several times afterwards. Do you know something about CA amplifiers we don't know? Are they running firmware in their amplifer with a couple of bugs in it? Just interested. I let you know and congratulate all of you once I see it working beautifully.

A

alphabet

Agree with the answers you got to your question, but sometimes the assumption is made that all those avenues have already been explored:)

As far as your question about "bugs" in the CA540R is concerned, apparently the first firmware version(prior to 2004) had some bugs and as your unit is out of warranty it is possible that you may have one of those units.

However I do not recall that the problem you are experiencing were one of the reported bugs.

As a happy 540R owner I do hope that your problem will be sorted following the suggestions.

gm0x45

Standard Member
Well, I have to say I'm surprise but after going to all your ideas I discovered that the problem was...the centre speaker. I put one of my rear speaker instead and the sound was definitively great. I don't understand how a speaker could be faulty as for me it's just a coil with some current going in it. I thought that the only problem you can find with speakers is a bad connection. But I can see now that the bandwidth could be also affected. Component faults? Is it worth to open it and check what could it be wrong or should I just go back to the dealer? It is still under warranty, unlike the amplifier. Thanks to all you.

A

alphabet

If its under warranty, don't mess with it, rather take it back to your dealer and let him worry about it.

I am happy for you that you have found the cause of the problem:clap: And although it may be an obvious process of elimination to try other speakers to some of us, not everyone approach a problem the same way.:devil:

windom

Standard Member
Hi there, something else you could try is to look at moving your centre speaker.
I had an issue with my 540R - muffled dialogue etc with midrange type voices. Other stuff seemed ok. Turned out to be absorption of certain frequencies by my TV that the speaker sat on top of. Built an isolation plaftorm between speaker & tv & job done - night & day.

Steve

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom