Cambridge amp help

NEDSON

Standard Member
Forgive me guy's im not that clued up on this maybe you can help, just been given a Cambridge Audio A1 v.2

I have a Panny x10, from the audio out 2 leads go straight into the back of the amp which feeds 2 floor standing speakers.

My question is if i turn the amp on and set the volume at a couple of notches so the speakers are on how come when i turn the tv volume up it drowns out the amped speakers,i thought the amp would automatically turn the speakers up am i doing anything wrong or missing something???

dwhite

Distinguished Member
The output from the TV will be fixed, you need to use the amp volume to adjust. The TV volume will only adjust the TV's internal speakers.

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Has the TV got a setting to choose which speakers to use?
i.e Ext speakers or TV speakers

I have a 23" samsung LCD and it gives me that option. When ext speakers are selected, no sound can be heard from the tv. When i raise the volume on the tv, it actually raises the volume on the amp to a pre-selected volume setting on the amp which i manually set. The tv cannot raise above this setting without me adjusting the volume on the amp. At no point can i hear the tv speakers.

Last edited:

NEDSON

Standard Member
Has the TV got a setting to choose which speakers to use?
i.e Ext speakers or TV speakers

I have a 23" samsung LCD and it gives me that option. When ext speakers are selected, no sound can be heard from the tv. When i raise the volume on the tv, it actually raises the volume on the amp to a pre-selected volume setting on the amp which i manually set. The tv cannot raise above this setting without me adjusting the volume on the amp. At no point can i hear the tv speakers.

Thanks, i was hoping this would be the case but i cant find the ext speaker facility on my x10, also forgot to say im running a Sky+box as well, whether that makes any difference

scorpion88

D Whites answer above is spot on of course just leave all volumme controls to the amp. I assume you have RCA connections from sky box to amp as well as the TV's?

Scorpion

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Not doubting or disputing DWhite, just stating it is possible to do what the OP wants. Of Course i'm not adjusting the actual amps volume, just the output to it from the tv.

Because my amp does not have a remote control, this way makes life alot easier for me. Otherwise, i would have to get up every 2 mins to adjust the volume when my peace is disturbed. And having a toddler means that is regular :D.

I forgot to mention that my tv only has a headphone jack output so i use a 3.5mm - 2RCA Phono cable. When connected, the tv automatically changes to ext speakers mode and mutes the tv speakers. You may want to try that and see how that goes.

scorpion88

Not doubting or disputing DWhite, just stating it is possible to do what the OP wants. Of Course i'm not adjusting the actual amps volume, just the output to it from the tv.

Because my amp does not have a remote control, this way makes life alot easier for me. Otherwise, i would have to get up every 2 mins to adjust the volume when my peace is disturbed. And having a toddler means that is regular :D.

I forgot to mention that my tv only has a headphone jack output so i use a 3.5mm - 2RCA Phono cable. When connected, the tv automatically changes to ext speakers mode and mutes the tv speakers. You may want to try that and see how that goes.

Simple, get an amp with a remote particularly when your toddler is having sweet dreams and you have Lionel Ritchie:eek: or something like that playing.:devil:

All the Best

Scorpion

scorpion88

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
I do have that but it is in the big boy setup

So until this amp finally goes kaput, I think i'll stick with it and pass on the Lionel Ritchie thank you.

The analogue connections are next to the RF In / Out connectors on the sky+ box and are red and white as Scorpion says, But even if the audio is taken from the tv, it should work the same way. i'll have ago at that later.

scorpion88

I do have that but it is in the big boy setup

So until this amp finally goes kaput, I think i'll stick with it and pass on the Lionel Ritchie thank you.

The analogue connections are next to the RF In / Out connectors on the sky+ box and are red and white as Scorpion says, But even if the audio is taken from the tv, it should work the same way. i'll have ago at that later.

Quite, and I am pleased to here your comments about Lionel Ritchie. His songs are hideous and make me feel ill.

Scorpion:D

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom