Cambridge 540R vs 640A - CD audio?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by vauny, Mar 18, 2006.

1. vauny

vauny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently upgrading my system and would like to know your opinions on whether I would lose much during cd play back if I chose a CA 540R amp/receiver over a 640A amp.

I am mainly after a good system for CD audio but would like the option of surround sound at a later date. The extra option of a tuner is also appealing.

The system I am putting together consists of Cambridge audio 640C and Kef IQ5 floor standing speakers.

Cheers,
    Paul

2. alphabet

alphabet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am at risk of "Punting what I have got", but I asked a similiar question to our local importers of CA and answer was that I will not notice any real difference if I use the 540R in stereo mode compared to the 640A on the condition that I use a decent CDP.

The 540R is really good in stereo considering its price and intented role(Home Theater)

Off course the best would still be for you to listen and compare the two before making a decision.

3. vauny

vauny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thanks for the reply. Will see if there is a demo available before I buy but have just about decided on the 540r v2... I think! ;0)