1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cambridge 540R and surround from 2ch input

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by YorxBrock, Feb 17, 2005.

1. YorxBrock

YorxBrock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently gone AV with a 540R & Kef KHT 2005.2, after many years of traditional stereo and I admit to being an AV newbie. In stereo & digital 5.1 I'm very happy.
    But getting surround from Nicam TV or Video (incl Dolby surround tape) I'm not. Using Dolby PLII setting - which is what I believe I should be doing - I get 5.0 - there seems to be no subwoofer output.
    The 540R offers a variety of DSP surround modes (6.1 according to the display). Using this I do get subwoofer, but they appear to replace, not modify, either stereo or PLII.
    As has been noted in other threads, the Cambridge manual is very skimpy - it merely tells you what function the button provides, without any explanation of when or why you should use which. Neither does it or the web site provide a help line number !
    I have heard great things of what Pro Logic II can do, but right now I don't feel I'm finding it in my system.
    Am I missing something, just demonstrating my ignorance, or do I have a problem. Experienced advice will be much appreciated !

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    dolby PLII should create a 5.1 effect but it will only do this if you have one or more of your speakers set to small.

In DD and above there is a dedicated low frequency channel (which is the .1) but if there are any small speakers then any frequencies below the cross over point which were encoded to go to the small speakers will be sent to the sub instead.

With PLII there is typically only 2 channels and an alogrythm is used to 'create' the 5 channels but will also create a .1 for small channels - to the best of my knowledge it does not create a LFE channel in addition to the info destined for small spkrs

3. YorxBrock

YorxBrock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks. Problem fixed. Now see I should have thought more deeply - the Kefs say to set as small, but the Cambridge manual makes no reference to small/large although the setting is there once you realise what you are looking for.
    I now appreciate that when the man in the shop said to make sure I read the manual what he really meant was "read the manual, and be prepared to look for the deeper meaning hidden within the cryptic phraseology"

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    I am surprised that a an ex-polly university hasnt done a degree in instruction manual reading/ writting yet - they certainly can be a law unto themselves