1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cambridge 540R and pre-outs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by zane9, Jan 26, 2005.

1. zane9

zane9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello from Canada. Very pleased with the Cambridge a/v receiver, in most respects. I have a question (and I did do a quick search on the threads here first, but not a lot of info). I plan to use a separate amplifier to power the front left and right speakers, and use the Cambridge for the center, rears and digital signal processing. It's not exactly clear to me where the separate amp plugs into the Cambridge. It's probably obvious to the rest of you!

Thanks for the help.

J.

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,151
    There is a six channel pre-out at the bottom of the rear panel in the middle. Front left and right are on the left hand side of the "block" of outputs.

3. zane9

zane9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks. Two other questions:

- are you aware of any plans by Cambridge to release a detailed manual on this receiver, or have you run across any Cambridge-obsessed people who have written their own version? The manual in the box reads rather like a brochure.

- I have an aging Rotel CDP (due for replacement), which I plan to connect to the Cambridge. In your opinion, digital-in or analogue-in? Not sure which has the superior DAC.

Thanks.

J.

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,151
    The improved manual has been on the to do list of one of the graphics chaps for ages but us nasty chaps at MS keep stealing him for more performance literature.

My suspicion would be to give analogue a go as I do not really rate many AV receivers to be superior at CD D to A.

5. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spent several hours comparing the 540R's DACs to CD players and I found it pretty decent (I bought a CD player anyway, as I wasn't receiver shopping, but the 540R was driving my audition). The best way is to compare at home. Plug your CD player into the digital input and the analogue inputs as well. Have someone else switch back and forth while you close your eyes. Not super scientific but will reveal any obvious differences. The choose which one you like best.