1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cam to PC USB driver's.

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Martin., Sep 20, 2005.

1. Martin.

Martin.
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have just purchase a NV-GS17B Panasonic camcorder and would like to connect it to my PC. I have no firewire port until I get my new computer so USB will have to do.

When I connect my camera the computer 'finds new hardware' but then requires a driver for my camera. I have no idea where to get the driver from?

No installation CD's came with my cam.

Thanks,

Martin.

2. aldinho

aldinho
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you get your camcorder from ? you should have got a cd with some kind of editing software and drivers etc.
    Ok the next step is to use some kind of editing software like MGI videowave. you can load this and then connect your camcorder and it should allow you to capture your movies.
    If it still askes you for drivers etc go to the web site of the make of camcorder you have and download the correct drivers this should solve the problem.
    It has been a while since i used USB to capture video, for a few pounds you can get a firewire card and simply plug it in to a spare port on your motherboard,it is so much better than USB trust me,
    Hope this helps...

3. Martin.

Martin.
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I have tried the Panasonic website though. The model of camera I bought isn't supposed to come with any CD-ROM's or software. As for the firewire card, I know they are cheap but I don't have nay PCI socket's free and I should be getting a new computer very soon anyways. I know my camera supports USB as it has a USB port, I just need the driver but I don't know where to get it from.

4. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    USB is not for full res video capture , you'll need firewire for reliable digital video capture.

The purpose of USB is lower res webcam use & still capture.

5. aldinho

aldinho
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok if you have to use usb, i used to use a piece of equipment called Dazzle usb capture, this device allowed me to connect either a camcorder or Vhs recorder to my Pc via usb and then capture using MGI, the results were not very good !!,, ok it was watchable but nothing compared to Firewire if you can wait until you get your new Pc wait it will be worth it...

6. Paul_Maycock

Paul_Maycock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Martin,

Did you check your PC to see if it had an empty PCI slot?

7. Paul_Maycock

Paul_Maycock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whoops,

Must remember to open my eyes and read 'all' postings before sending a reply.