• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Cam for Equesatrian Dressage

Albiuk

Standard Member
Hi
I have been asked to shoot next seasons dressage events for my local club. Which cam would you recommend for this type of work. Could lead to other equestrian work. Thinking along the lines of :- Canon XL2, Sony Ex 1/ Ex 3.
Many thanks
AlbiUK. :cool:

rogs

To be honest, if you are thinking to include the Sony EX3 in your list, then the others listed, and mentioned, are not really in the same league.

But you are talking about a lot more money......?

Albiuk

Standard Member
Rogs, Your right of course, Ex3 is a little over the top for the kind of work mentioned think I was getting carried away, Ex1, I think should be the max.
Albiuk. :cool:

rogs

OK, with the EX1 as 'top' of your range, you might like to consider the PBITS - AG-HMC151 - Tapeless Camcorder

or possibly the HPX171 - although you don't really want to get involved with P2 cards unless you have to --- too expensive!!!

Personally, I prefer the CCD cameras like the '151 --they don't have any rolling shutter problems, like the CMOS sensor cameras can have.
Although I believe cameras like the EX1, although it has a CMOS sensor, is actually pretty good on rolling shutter issues.

(you can find out a bit on rolling shutters here: CMOS Rolling Shutter if you're interested)

Having said that, the Sony is capable of some super quality images- especially if you don't intend any fast panning!

Albiuk

Standard Member
Thank you rogs and Mysticpuma for you imput all noted will check out the 151. Also the rolling shutter will have a read of that.
Like I said cam mostly to be used for equestrian work.
Many thanks for time and advice.
Albiuk. :cool:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom