Calorie Deficit

Not sure I would take advice on this sort of thing on a av forum where it is random members opinions etc...
Not sure why you are contributing then, as there is a wealth of experience on here. :nono:

Not sure why you are contributing then, as there is a wealth of experience on here. :nono:

Fair point!

Certainly given me food for thought has this thread... Will be looking further into my diet etc for sure.

Hey Prezzy just out interest how much do you currently weigh ?

Hey Prezzy just out interest how much do you currently weigh ?

13 stone 5 - more than happy on suggestions to lose weight and build muscle.

Been back at the gym since February and so far lost half a stone or so going 3-4 times per week.

Gym I do 20 mins on the bike then 10 minutes on the cross trainer then do weights all over.

Last edited:
Also I have read that you should be pushing your heart rate to 220 minus your age so max should be 180 - I regularly hit 184 or over when working out, should I be doing less?

Also I have read that you should be pushing your heart rate to 220 minus your age so max should be 180 - I regularly hit 184 or over when working out, should I be doing less?

That theory relates to your max heart rate, that would be to failure, and you simply cannot carry on.

By finding your max heart rate you can then find your training zones and the infamous fat burning zone, which believe or not sits well below the 180 mark more around the 130-145 mark, the only time you would hit max rate was if you was on a full out sprint either running or biking etc,but generally speaking you would do it as sport specific to hit a particular goal, but there's also and increased risk if injury that comes along with that.

How are you measuring you BPM?

The sensors on the machines are well known to be a mile out, if your watch has built in hrm that should be fairly accurate, if your looking to burn fat there is really no reason to go beyond 145 BPM, it should be quite a comfortable pace, although in fairness that won't be easy to achieve on a bike, biking doesn't raise the heart rate the same as running or rowing does.

The problem here is what your not telling anyone.

For all we know you could be a 5ft 8 stone man and there for require less.

On the other hand you could be 6ft.4, 15 stone, so then that cal intake is insane...!
I was off work last year for 7 months due to having a operation which ended up with me putting on close to 3st

Around January I was approx 14st 2lb
Today's weight I am 13st 2lb
Height 5ft10
Age 34

I recently went to the doctors for a check up and was told my ideal weight is 74kg and I guess I'm around 84kg

I said in my OP my height and weight...

Last edited:
On wrist HR monitors are not known for being that accurate either. Get a chest strap based one as they tend to be better for exercising.
How many beers do you have on the weekend? Interested as the calories can really add up with a few beers so may have some impact on your overall weight.
As said above you need to work out your HR zones and then use them depending on your goals. My main sports are about endurance so I will do a lot of training in the lower zones (zone 2) but will target one session a week on interval work where I will work at the higher zones for short times to push my threshold up.
Weight loss is a complex thing although the eat less and do more approach is a good place to start. However, a lot of people under estimate how much they eat and over estimate how much exercise they do which is why you often here people wonder why they can not lose weight (not saying that this is the cause of any of the posts above but just something I have noticed in general). A good way around this is to keep a diary of what you eat and do. Walking for an hour will burn calories but not as much as many people think.
Saw an interesting program on TV about weight and the number of microbes in you body/guts. Had twins on who had significantly different weights although food etc. the same but the heavier one had a lot less microbes. Also had some bits about calories burned on 'active' days compared to normal and gym days. In one case the active day burned significantly more calories than the gym day which again showed the complex nature of all this.

A ball park day for me is

7.30am/8am Coffee plus 2 slice of wholemeal toast with banana & peanut butter (need something in my stomach before training - hate training on empty stomach but some people train better fasted)
9.30 - Crossfit for 60 mins
11am - 80-100grams of oats/porridge with fruit (blueberries/rasberries etc) plus protein shake
2pm - Wholemeal bagel with 3 or 4 scrambled eggs plus 3 or 4 slice of bacon. Or 2 wholemeal chicken wraps etc.
6pm - Dinner, Homemade chicken curry, chicken stirfry etc - not too many carbs
8/9pm - Dog walk for 30/45 mins then a Protein shake or protein bar before bed

Usually around 2 to 3 litres of water plus another coffee or so.

Easy 3000 kcals a day

On non training day - usually loose the toast in the morning and then a few handful of nuts etc as snacks.
This is useful as i cycle a lot (well approx 100 miles a week at high intensity) and know i do not eat enough in calories as when i have a hard session (90 to 120 mins at a high HR and hard route usually three times a week on my commute home) i feel tired that night and sometimes run down next day. I had a 90min XC race at the weekend and was spent after 40 mins which is not right for the amount of training/level i am doing.

I have looked at my diet and have nowhere near what you are having. I have also spent considerable time this weekend researching for carbing up before race day (what i should eat 48 hours before for 90 min race has really opened my eyes and i now have a plan) but also what i should eat on my commute days as really surprised me - again i must be at about 55% of this. I just used to think if i don't bonk on the way home i am having enough calories but it just doesn't work like that.

Interesting thread and i will take on more 'good calories' as i do not really need to burn fat or loose anymore weight just need far better recovery calories and diet than i am currently having.

Last edited:
I used to cycle a lot and again was massively "under" eating - If your training hard, you need to eat /drink proper.

Easy on a hard cycle over a few hours to burn 1500/2000 calories, so you need your normal days intake 1500/1800 plus replace those 1500/2000. There's 3000/3500 calories just to stay "even" for the day.

Obviously if wanting to loose weight/put on - that's needing tweaked but eating the right stuff/clean stuff is just as important.

Should you be hungry when cutting calaroies? I don't mean don't eat all starving yourself silly, just the odd hunger pain etc
I guess so. If your body is used to x amount and then your reduce that by 500 calories, it's likely to be hungry!

Should you be hungry when cutting calaroies? I don't mean don't eat all starving yourself silly, just the odd hunger pain etc

It will likely depend on just how far you are wanting to cut by, you will feel hunger there s no doubting that, most cuts take roughly 8-12 weeks at which you have to be strict enough to say I'm gonna stick to this amount of calories daily, normally as rule it's a 500 calorie deficit u til you get to your target weight or bodyfat depending what your chasing.

Just be aware if you do cut to try and increase your protien intake this will offer your muscles a little more protection.:thumbsup:

Yeah you will have hunger pangs until your body gets used to the deficit you are doing.

As a side note, if you do feel hungry then try drinking some water. The body's water need can have the same feeling as the body's food need (hunger pangs) and oftentimes people think it's hunger and start eating. Drink first, eat second [emoji106]

Interesting thread and i will take on more 'good calories' as i do not really need to burn fat or loose anymore weight just need far better recovery calories and diet than i am currently having.
So commuted to work today (just recovering from a cold which might explain my abysmal race performance at the weekend).
Would normally do a fasted ride to work but as i am still recovering from a cold i though i'd drop that this week so had porridge for breakfast with a homemade fruit smoothie consisting of Banana, Apple, Pear, frozen Berries, and Kiwi, blended with water.
According the the British Cycling site i should now have a mid morning snack so forced myself to have some yogurt with a handful of nuts (i say forced as i didn't feel hungry).
Will have pasta for lunch and then i am supposed to have a mid afternoon snack so will see how this goes. As my commute home tonight is sub 90mins and i am not going to totally push it will not need any fueling on the bike but will see if i feel full of energy cycling home.
I am going to commute tomorrow also so will follow the same plan. I am hoping to push it harder and for 90-120mins on my way home tomorrow depending on if i am still feeling the after effects of this cold.

you are saying you "feel" like you ate less and you probably did but when it comes to losing weight or gaining weight it is important and effective to write down and objectively track what's going on that way you have a base from which you can make necessary adjustments (removing more food, increasing cardio/lifting for caloric expenditure).

Something doesn't read right here with the cals you are consuming and your weight / weight loss. You say some days you're only eating 800cals but are you counting EVERY calorie? Sugar in your tea / coffee, soft drinks, fruit, snacks, etc? Do you drink alcohol at the weekends and get takeaways and have a bit of chocoloate, sweets, ice cream, etc?

blimey this thread has some shockers in it... :D

just do what booyaka has said!!

I was off work last year for 7 months due to having a operation which ended up with me putting on close to 3st

So this year I started watching what I eat (I shop at asda & only got for the meals with green health boxes) and really noticed that I don't eat that much lol

Around January I was approx 14st 2lb
Today's weight I am 13st 2lb
Height 5ft10
Age 34

The thing is I feel like I should be losing alot more weight as I do not eat anywhere near my 2500kcal a day

Just yesterday I probably had around 800kcal which was a sardines on toast breakfast and a healthy dinner and felt fine

Today it is 6pm and all I have eaten is scrambled egg on 2 pieces of toast and a cup of tea with 1 sugar

My main form of exercise is jumping rope and going for long walks, I do sit ups every other day

With my lack of calorie intake why isn't the weight just dropping off me? I read that for males to lose weight they should Nick their calorie intake down to around 1900kcal but I don't get half that some days

I am a active person sometimes I will go on walks for close to 2hrs

I do drink alot of water could it be water weight?

I recently went to the doctors for a check up and was told my ideal weight is 74kg and I guess I'm around 84kg

How many Kgs of eggs in your scrambled eggs? Small regular macro calculated meals every 2.5hrs and the right amount of hydration. That's all.

So three weeks in of changing my in the week diet to increase calories;
Commuting on bike:
Breakfast: Same as pre-diet whether fasted commute or not. Sometimes have a Protein shake if i am planning on a big cycle on the way home.
Mid-morning snack: Natural or Greek yogurt with a handful of nuts and/or dried fruit.
Lunch: Tuna Pasta
Afternoon Snack: Small chocolate bar or Soreen or Power Bar.
Commute home - if under 1 hour then nothing on the commute, if over one hour then some fig biscuits and/or energy gel.
Post commute Protein shake if commuting next day and evening meal (as before diet), if not cycling next day then usually drop the shake.

If i am Mountain biking straight after work (and therefore in my car as opposed to commuting by bike) then i will still follow the mid morning/afternoon snacks above but switch the pasta for light lunch and have the pasta about 17:00. Always have a Protein shake after mountain biking as we finish about 21:00 so good evening recovery.

The days i do not cycle i stick to the diet i had before - no mid morning or afternoon snacks and just a light lunch and evening meal as normal.

So how do i feel? AMAZING in a word. The power i feel on the bike is great and feel really strong and just want to keep going. I am peddling more and not peddling coasting. I am also hitting many PBs on Strava.
The next day my legs do not feel as tired neither do i, and i feel ready to get back on the bike. We will see how this translates into race performance when i next race.

A lot of the hunger pangs have gone and despite at first kind of having to force myself to eat a mid-morning snack i now feel ready for it.

I have also cut down snacking at night as now after my evening meal that's it i feel satisfied. I haven't noticed any weight gain but i am not trying to lose weight just maintain my weight but get stronger on the bike.

You also might want to pay attention to your body composition and not just the weight. If you get a smart scale it can tell you your fat vs muscle percentage. It's possible that you could be gaining muscle causing the scale not to be going down.

3500 calories a day is an insane amount to me I cannot imagine ever eating that much how is it made up?

Days I go to the gym I do eat more but not high calorie foods - more high protein so like chicken / protein bars / bananas / cottage cheese / tuna etc.

I will start again to track my intake of calories again to see.

Male and 5 foot 10 here

Calculate your macros and keep a food log and monitor exactly how many calories you are eating. I bet your caloric intake is a lot more than what you think. It can be quite an eye opener.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom