Calman, spyder & Sony VPL-HS20

Rickyj at Kalibrate

AVForums Sponsor
Well after much experimenting and reading, I decided that as I had a couple of hours free on Sat I would try and calabarate the proj using Calman v2.02.

My proj is a Sony VPL-HS20, and I am using dvi out from a htpc, running Theatertek 2.4, and FFDshow (not sure what version), at 1366 x 768 @56hz.

I used Avia, as I already have that and can not afford getgray this month.

The results of the first 7 runs are below,

Unfotunately, I ran out of time to do any more, but I did manage to watch a film after the inital calabirations, and was suitably impressed.

Ricky

Attachments

cameratjoe

Standard Member
Hi, saw your posts on the CalMan forum.

It is a great bundle. I have bought it myself and use it on my HC3000.

- But isn´t it colour test patterns on the Avia disc? I believe mine has got them? If you are using a PC, there were patterns with the CalMan SW also.
It is great because you are not able to dial in the greyscale with your eyes.
Both the colour tempereature and the coulours were "way out" on mine also, I am still not completely satisfied (will i ever be?), but I do not think I can get very much more from the proj.

BTW I saw from the PDF that you had some "strange values" in the calibration wizard or do you not use it?

Here is how good I have got my setup btw.

Attachments

IronBear

Novice Member
cameratjoe said:
BTW I saw from the PDF that you had some "strange values" in the calibration wizard or do you not use it?
Just looking at the disparity in the point gamma and curve fit ("actual") gamma values, the wizard does not have it inside it to give you very meaningful help with the HS20. I'd have to code something specific to it, though hopefully it is still giving decent directional advice.

I'm afraid that's one of the reasons it is "experimental" (and probably always will be).

Bill

Rickyj at Kalibrate

AVForums Sponsor
cameratjoe said:
I must admit that whilst I used the calibration wizard for the first 7 attempts, I didn't feel that I was getting anywhere quick, so decided I would do it on trial and error myself.

I did still use the wizard, but just to document the settings i was using in the current box, to see what measurements gave in the way of readings.

Ricky:smashin:

Rickyj at Kalibrate

AVForums Sponsor
cameratjoe said:
But isn´t it colour test patterns on the Avia disc? I believe mine has got them?
I use the greyscale chapters for the greyscale, and yes there are colour test patterns on the disc, but was concentrating on the greyscale first. Colour is next.

cameratjoe said:
If you are using a PC, there were patterns with the CalMan SW also.
For some reason it would not work for me:rolleyes: Not sure why, but did email Bill regarding the matter.

cameratjoe said:
Here is how good I have got my setup btw.
Looks very impressive.:smashin:

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
I just did my HS20 last night. I'll post the results once I get them into a pdf.
I don't do lots of runs.

I do one run to see whats going on with the display and then I ping pong back and forth between 20% and 80% adjusting the RGB bias and gain on the display until the aims are as stable as they can be for each level . Then do another grayscale run to model the end results. I then do the primaries and secondaries readings (which are interesting to see but there isn't much you can do with them on the HS20). All in probably takes me about 40mins to do an average display.

I don't bother with the ansi contrast calculation as its a pain to do and not really that relevant for calibration.

I go for a gamma of 2.5 generally as I'm used to looking at displays in a dark enviroment that take this into account ( I actually prefer the higher gamma in brighter conditions as well) . I think my HS20 came out about 2.6 ,2.7 for 2.5 but it tracks pretty accurately up to 100% where the blue starts to flag a little . I could probably drop the contrast but the slight yellowing in the peak whites is imperceptable and the overall contrast is about as low as I want it. I'm also using a CC20R filter on the projector. The Iris is on and the projector is in low mode , gamma is off on the projector as is any black enhancement malarkey beyond the iris.

It was tracking quite well as prior to this it had been calibrated with a spyder2 and the rader spreadsheet ( prior to that with SMART3). The rader one gave a pretty good overall track but was consistently about 300-600K below 6500k relative to the calman spreadhseet and a philips PM colour analyser. This was also the case on my panny 42PHD8 which I did the other night as well and which had also previously been caled with the rader sheet.

Although I did both displays for rec.709 , judging by how off the primaries are I suspect they are pretty much designed for a bt.601 type colour standard which is a shame as they are probably not all that accurate for EBU either which I find is a good compromise between the two if you are mixing differing standards ( as we all are). I'll be doing the component inputs on both displays probably today so it will be interesting if tweaking the colour decoder improves things on the plasma (HS20 doesn't have the necessary controls).

Given the work done to get the meter readings accurate on calman I'll stick with it over the rader sheet.

IronBear

Novice Member
Mr.D said:
Given the work done to get the meter readings accurate on calman I'll stick with it over the rader sheet.
We are not going to turn the Spyder into a PR650 or Lightspex (>$20k each), but we are actually more accurate than several of the applications shipped by the manufacturers with meters we support or have in development. The sad part is that it is bascially the same error each time.

:oops:

By the way, congratulations on the results. As always, the key is whether the results actually look better, and not just that they measure better. :)

Later,
Bill

pierreye

Novice Member
Please note that Avia calibration disc greyscale is not pure and been tinted. This is confirm by Bill when he playback from Theatertek and capture the image to analyse the grey color. So, our best bet know is to use the bmp file included in Calman (if you use HTPC) or I actually request that Keith can help to put in this pattern to his free test DVD. Hopefully by next revision we can get this pattern without have to fork out another USD 20.

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
Well that's certainly doable : 10 step window patterns all the way from 0 to 100%. I don't really use Avia for anything these days , DVE or Getgrey for me.