Calman Home for Sony Calibration Software - No support for 2021 models?

kopidilo

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone :) Need your kind advice/ help.

I just bought the Sony 75X90J TV, a 2021 model. One reason I bought it was that Sony says it is CALMAN ready. So I thought it supported the CALMAN HOME FOR SONY calibration software, which was an affordable alternative compared to the ULTIMATE/ PRO version. I'm using Chromapure now.

I was about to purchase the CALMAN HOME FOR SONY software to calibrate the TV, but I realised all Sony 2021 models are not listed on PORTRAITS website as a supported model under CALMAN HOME FOR SONY:
https://store.portrait.com/consumer-software/calman-home-for-sony
calmanhometable.jpg

So then, I wrote in to PORTRAITS and this is their reply, which had me CONCERNED. And they seem to beat around the bush when I asked them more:
"Currently, Calman does not have full support for the 2020+ model year Sony TVs. We are currently investigating issues related to the calibration, but the shipping of some test hardware has been delayed due to the ongoing pandemic. More information will be available in future Calman updates."

Does anyone know if there are known issues for CALMAN HOME FOR SONY on the 2021 models? I tried googling but there's not much useful info on the internet.

Sounds like Sony or Calman aren't giving the full story. I'd just get a refund.

Hi everyone :) Need your kind advice/ help.

I just bought the Sony 75X90J TV, a 2021 model. One reason I bought it was that Sony says it is CALMAN ready. So I thought it supported the CALMAN HOME FOR SONY calibration software, which was an affordable alternative compared to the ULTIMATE/ PRO version. I'm using Chromapure now.

I was about to purchase the CALMAN HOME FOR SONY software to calibrate the TV, but I realised all Sony 2021 models are not listed on PORTRAITS website as a supported model under CALMAN HOME FOR SONY:
https://store.portrait.com/consumer-software/calman-home-for-sony
View attachment 1594659

So then, I wrote in to PORTRAITS and this is their reply, which had me CONCERNED. And they seem to beat around the bush when I asked them more:
"Currently, Calman does not have full support for the 2020+ model year Sony TVs. We are currently investigating issues related to the calibration, but the shipping of some test hardware has been delayed due to the ongoing pandemic. More information will be available in future Calman updates."

Does anyone know if there are known issues for CALMAN HOME FOR SONY on the 2021 models? I tried googling but there's not much useful info on the internet.
May I ask, what did you do in the end?

what are folk doing to try calibration these days. I use Chromapure (not for some time) a Lumagen Mini XD to produce SDR test patterns and a colorometer. However, as I now have the A90J and wanted to take advantage of the Calman autocal feature, what are people using as a cost effective way to produce test patterns for SDR and HDR for these modern TV's?

Or...is it the case that autocal doesn't work if your simply feeding the TV a blu ray test disc pattern or will it still work it out from that?

I’ve bought i1Display Pro - thinking of trying to calibrate my A95k when it arrives (after 100 hrs) - do I also need a pattern generator too? Or will this come as a downloadable app with the TV? Do you think it will be worth doing? It’s starting to seem too complicated for me :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom