Calman 4.0 or Chroma Pure 2

dave_st185

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I've recently purchased my second plasma and second Lumagen - I have a HDQ setup with my 58 series Fuji plasma and now have a Radiance XE and Panasonic S20

The Fuji / HDQ combination (ISF'd by Piers) is very nice but I intend to put the XE there and then use the HDQ to calibrate the S20, so I'm looking at 2 ISF's straight away

I'll may buy a new panel or projector next year for the main room, so that would be another calibration, which has got me thinking about learning to do this myself

I understand both Calman Enthusiast 4.0 and Chroma Pure 2 both offer levels of integration and automation with a Radiance

Which would people recommend?

Which has the best levels of Radiance automation ?

I assume the HDQ won't have any automation so I'll have to learn how to do a manual calibration with that, so is much difference from that point of vew between the 2 bits of software ?

And finally I'm still researching meters, the Chroma 5 Pro, Colour Munki, and I-1pro seem to be well though of, any opinions on these would be welcome too

Cheers

Dave

I'm a Chromapure user myself, so tend to recommend this. Of course Calman owners will probably recommend Calman. :) I think that Chromapure has a clearer workflow and I found it easy to progress through (having played with HFCR for a while beforehand). The other benefit with Chromapure is that there is a forum powerbuy deal and Ricky is great at PMs and general help, which counts for a great deal in my book.

Really though there's only one way to find out...

....FIGHT!

(In Harry Hill stylee :D).

I understand both Calman Enthusiast 4.0 and Chroma Pure 2 both offer levels of integration and automation with a Radiance

I assume the HDQ won't have any automation so I'll have to learn how to do a manual calibration with that, so is much difference from that point of vew between the 2 bits of software ?

And finally I'm still researching meters, the Chroma 5 Pro, Colour Munki, and I-1pro seem to be well though of, any opinions on these would be welcome too

Cheers

Dave

I'm a long time Calman and Radiance user. I can't comment on the auto calibration features as it's not something I use. In terms of measuring device I use the i1pro. There's some feedback from Steve from AVF reviews on the Radiance/Calman auto calibration in this thread I think.

I found both the Spectracal and Lumagen support forums to be of great benefit over the years. If you're new to calibration these can be a great source of product specific advice.

I can't comment on Chromapure but don't think you will go far wrong with either.

Avi

I cannot comment on the Chromapure software as I haven't used it but I do use CalMan. The Radiance automation can speed up the calibration process which is of help to professional calibrators. My experience is that after running the automated process, a manual "tweak" often improves the results. The very latest version of CalMan appears to offer a manual tweak after an interactive session so it looks like SpectraCal share my findings.

The HDQ doesn't have any automation so, as you say, you will have to learn how to do it manually. Given that you aren't doing calibration work where time is money I question whether automation with the Radiance is of much importance. As of today you are likely to get best results with a manual calibration.

Learning how to do it manually with CalMan is what I would suggest. Watch out for a course that may speed the learning process.

Thanks everyone for your replies, between them and some reading around I'm starting to get a better idea of what can do what

I'll definitely look at some of the support forums and I've also found Ricky's thread re the Chroma Pure buy

Piers, thanks for the advice, my interest in the auto calibration features is more for getting me started rather than a long term interest in using that, like you suggest I'd want to be able to do proper manual calibrations but feel the auto calibration features will give me a head start in terms of getting up and running, seeing it in action may help too in picking up what needs doing and in what order etc

A course on this ( that doesn't cost large sums ) does sound like a good idea, so I will keep an eye out, or let me know if you hear of something you think I might be interested in, although I appreciate you may be doing yourself out of an ISF calibration :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom