1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calliopes

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by laalves, Mar 9, 2005.

1. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi all,

I'm considering one pair of new Calliopes with bass modules for 2300£. I think, pricewise it is a good option, considering old RRP of about 6000£. But that's not the point.

The point is, what experience anybody here has with them. They look gorgeous, but how about sound, since I never heard them and this would have to be a blind choice.

Amping would for now be a TAG 100P, but in the near future a 100x5R or maybe a 250.

My current fronts are Monitor Audio PMC703, which are quite nice midrange but somewhat suck in the lower end, being clearly uncontrolled, even doing very strange "wind" noises through their their frontal ports, when subject to extreme low, powerful bass.

Luis

2. Laingy

Laingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have standard calliopes without bass modules - but have the centre speaker. The main reason for buying them was actually their looks, however they still sound great. And even now after a few years of ownership with my other tag gear, I find listening to films and music a pleasure. However, they are quite 'clinical' as with other tag gear, so if you like that type of music presentation it will be suited to you.

Remember hifibitz was selling them for 1600, so your price may be excessive

3. Sheepman

Sheepman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I have the calliopes as my av speaker solution 2 bass + centre + 2 calliopes as rear.

Few points.

- they sound wonderful straight out the box but then go very quiet and flat for a few weeks ( at least 150 hours). Then get much much better. They indeed have a very clinical/clean sound and really show up every detail in naff recordings. Bass is deep enough - though I have a suspended floor in my house and the bass kicks up quite nicely through that - I can really feel the bass through my feet!

- for some reason they do not seem to like being cold and sound much better in a warm room - no idea why.

- the build quality is really unsurpassed - never seen a speaker like it before and the paint (i have black) is just the most beautiful finish!)

Makes me smile just looking at them - in terms of style there is really little out there that is as well finished or looks as elegant.

£2300 seems a reasonable price to me I paid around £4000 a while ago for the complete set. I did demo a lot of other stuff but I really like clean sound and this is what you get with it.. very clean, clearly resolved, enough bass (so if movies are you thing you may not need a sub).

heavy bu**ers mind you - don't give yourself a hernia moving them ! and black... well it picks up every speck of dust which means they need regular polishing..a hardship really.

I would go out and buy the same ones again

sheepman

one thing I forgot - they do need a lot of driving so make sure the amp is up to it. I use an AVR300 and it just about manages - need more than this really.

4. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buy the best power amp you can afford if you are expecting to play them loud.

5. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well, I have neighbours, so there's a practical limit. Anyway, after reading these posts, I did what I have never done before: bought speakers without ever auditioning them..... So I just ordered a silver pair from Sevenoaks. 170£ to get them to the sea-side rectangle....

Well, my new setup will be an all TAG, so I figure I can't go much wrong.

As to amping, the stereo pair will have to do with a 100P for now, but I figure I should go for a 250x3.

With all the money spent these last 2 months, I must holdback for now and restrict my self a bit.

So, I'm planning one 250x3 for the three front Calliopes (the centre is coming from a guy from hififorsale) and 2 x TAG 100P (I still have to buy a second to add to my current one) to drive the 4 rears, Monitor Audio Silver FXi. These may not be up to a par with the fronts but, they integrate nicely with the surroundings, and sound discreetly cool too.

Luis

6. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well, they're out anywhere except Sevenoaks (where I just ordered a pair) and hifibitz refuses to sell to outside of the island, so, no choice.

Luis

7. MartinFXDX

MartinFXDX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    laalves,

You won't be disappointed. I got a pair fairly recently from HiFiBitz and I've to say they are one of the best buys I have made.

They really are very good. The 250 amp is an excellent match too.

Enjoy!

8. memmerson

memmerson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hifibitz have a single pair of silver Calliope bookshelves for £999 at the moment.

9. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Reading a bit about the Parasound HCA-2205AT. What do you chaps feel about one of these driving the Calliopes, on an otherwise all TAG setup? Anybody tried yet?

An added advantage is clearly price.....

Luis

10. rdg

rdg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Given the difficulties auditioning them now, has anyone compared Calliopes with any of the cheaper Benesch speakers - Arc or even Discovery? As there may be bargains to be had, know the Benesch speakers well, and suspect the Calliopes may have a similar sound, would be grateful for any views.

Richard

11. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Richard

Haven't heard them side by side but the have a different way of reproducing sound, according to my memory :eek:

Also I never heard the WB's with TAG amps but would think that any of the 250's would go well with them :smashin:

12. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi, "loud" is very different for everyone :) . Furthermore remember a 1000W (one thousand!) Watt amplifier is just producing sound twice as loud as a 100 (one hundred) Watt.

I run the Calliope + Bass Modules with Aphrodite (60W) in a 45sqm room. No problem for my ears:smashin: .

Finally the 100P can produce up to 160W (8Ohm), so it is pretty powerful already. It can also easily cope with the low impedance of the Calliope+Bass Module. Of course, 250M or 250x3R improve on that, but in my opinion more in refinement (S/N, crosstalk, intermodulation) than volume level.

P.S: I am confident the Calliope + Bass Module are the only full range single extrusion Aluminum speakers we will ever see (at least at an "affordable" price). There were extremely difficult to manufacture and should have been sold at a much higher price to recover their high manufacturing cost. Unfortunately (or is it fortunately?) we didn't expect those problems at the outset (twisting extrusion, varying dimensions, expensive painting). Nevertheless, the result is in my opinion an extraordinary speaker, both in sound quality as in look.

13. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Very interesting, Dr. Zucker. I'll wait for my Calliopes + bass modules, to check them out with the 100P, before I blow anymore €€€€ away. This particular 100P is 3/4 years old and I got it for 550 euros, which I feel was a very nice deal.

For the centre (which will also be a Calliope in a few days) and 2 back channels (a pair of Monitor Audio FXi with another pair arriving soon) I use a Yamaha DSP-E800 (a 3 channel AV amp, nominally 3 x 75W into 8 Ohm) in power amp mode having upgraded to AV32R-EX, also second hand.

Dr. Zucker, "for your ears" do you feel that the Calliopes + bass have enough quality bass to dispense a subwoofer, both for 2 channel music and multi-channel cinema? After getting used to the Calliopes and letting them run-in for a prolonged period (say a 2-3 months) I was thinking to go audtion something like a REL Storm 5.

Luis

14. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi Luis, Calliope + Bassmodules are sufficient for music. They go actually pretty low and can generate significant volume levels at such low frequencies. Home cinema is different, as movies contain in the LFE channel such low frequencies that we consider them less "music" than "noise". I mean those famous detonations etc. A subwoofer is designed to let the floor vibrate and your stomach kick. An ordinary speaker can't do this. Having said all this, most movies will work pretty well without a sub, but as I said, for the last "kick" add a subwoofer. Hope this helps.

15. rdg

rdg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Given the bargains around, I managed to secure a pair, but then thought of the stands. I want them for background, and so don't really need the bass modules. Does anyone know of anywhere that might do those stands? If not, any ideas about a good alternative - at least visually.

Richard

16. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When the Calliope and Bass modules were at Live2000, everybody asked where the subwoofer was hiddedn

17. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I'd use the bass modules as stands.......... ;)

18. rdg

rdg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But is anyone selling just bass modules anymore?

Richard