1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

Calliopes or 805's ?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by welshwizzard, Oct 23, 2004.

1. welshwizzard

welshwizzard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of "upgrading" my B&W 805's to TAG Calliope's - are they significantly better ? I've not heard them but there are a few about at the moment at around the £1100 mark, so after selling the 805's hey wouldnt be an expensive upgrade.

My systems comprises of:
    TAG DVD32FLR
    TAG AV30R 7.1
    TAG 100x7R
    B&W Nautilus 805's
    B&W LM1 rears

Planned upgrade to B&W SNT's, (with the LMs acting as 7.1 rears)
    B&W PV1 sub

If I stuck with the 805's I was going to go for a B&W HTM2 centre.

2. OnTheFly

OnTheFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    I don't know what your budget is but I would suggest you demo the B&W 805 signature speakers. Fabulous sound & beautiful to look at.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    I'd actually say the Calliope is a downgrade from 805's....sorry Calliope owners.

Gordon

4. @Home

@Home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79

I'll Second that :thumbsup: .

I have got a pair of the B&W 805 Signatures and the sound fabulous on the end of Tagmclaren products.

5. Neale

Neale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont agree but the only way you are going to find out is by auditionning them. Do you live in Wales?

6. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I received my Nautilus 802 today and this last week I have been listening to the Calliopes. I must say that they are excellent speakers if you have a good sub…

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
  8. welshwizzard

welshwizzard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I get the picture. The problem with trying to audition Calliopes is that no ones got them anymore !

805 Sigs sound like the best bet.

Thanks to all for replying.

9. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    What is your budget?
    Do you need small speakers?
    805sigs are very nice to look at........but jezzz they cost.....
    Calliopes are also lovely to look at but frankly don't complete in the same areas as many likeprice rivals, in depth testing of a pair a while back showed us this....... However I note your setup doesn't include the TAG processor with TMREQ so your room will have a marked effect on any speaker you choose so demo at home is a must....
    Others to consider include:-

M&K MPS2510's (ugly but...)
    PMC DB1 (and save yourslef some cash!)
    PMC TB2
    Dynaudio "Air" series

10. Pooley

Pooley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Calliopes never seemed to get good reviews. I toyed with the idea of getting a set some while ago, with the bass extension cabs. However, that made them expensive. Even a dealer I talked to about them suggested I audition other speakers before deciding on the Calliopes, as he thought they were not as good for the money as other speakers. And he was a dealer of the Calliopes.

I like the B&W 805 Sig, however there are sooo many speakers on the market today. If you like dynamics then listen to a pair of ATC SCM35's. These speakers go so loud and uncompressed that you don't realise how loud until you turn to speak to you mate who's sat beside you, and all he see's are your lips moving!! Scary. And a quick way to fall out with your neighbours.

If you like a more musical sound, then listen to a Reference 3A speaker. The Royal Virtuoso is sublime, though expensive, but you probably wouldn't want to buy another speaker after living with them. I almost bought a pair, until I heard a set of Martin Logan SL3's. I bought a set of SL3's 2nd-hand for £2000. They really suit Tag electronics, and truly disappear living you with a 3D vista of sound.

Once I'd heard electrostatics, every box speaker afterwards sounded, well, "boxy". So I'd advise you try and listen to a set of Martin Logans before you make your final decision.

11. Pooley

Pooley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just realised that my choices are on the expensive side!!

Why not consider 2nd-hand?

Whilst buying 2nd-hand speakers is more risky, i.e they are moving parts that will wear, than buying 2nd-hand electronics, if you buy from a reputable dealer then you should have some form of guarantee.

I bought my SL3's from a very reputable 2nd-hand dealer and have had absoloutely no problems with them since they arrived. Which is more than I can say about my DVD32R!

The only problem you'll have is that you probably won't be able to demo them in your home. However the dealer was happy for me to try my SL3's before I made the decision to buy, as long as I covered the delivery costs.

Just my 2p's worth.

12. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I've got a pair of 805's here,with an AV32R(no Tag amps though),and the sound quality is very good overall,and the decision to buy was made after listening to a lot of speakers in the £1.5K-2k region.
    Another you might consider is the Wilson Benesch Arc(at the upper end of that price range,but beautifully made and very nice sound also).
    The last 2 posts make good points not only about buying used/ex-dem speakers,but also about electrostatics...I also have a set of Quad ESLs,and in many areas,the sound quality definitely beats dynamic speakers by a large margin,although ultimate SPL etc is down.

The best judge though,is your own ears,with your own system....listen to as many speakers in your price range as you can,preferably with your own system before choosing.

13. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi all, may I remind everybody (->see TMREQ) that the listening room has a much larger influence than any electronics/cable (of decent quality, of course) could ever make. In other words, there is very little value in listening to a speaker outside your listening room, as significant speaker "defects" (delibrately designed in or result of a shortfall) can be masked or artifically generated by the boundary reflections. Peaks of more than 10dB (=twice the volume) are no a rare exception. There are many recorded cases of dissatified purcasers when bringing their purchase home.

14. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Hi again....nice to see you.

Your point is very valid,and until the likes of the DP Tags and Tact processors etc,was pretty much outside the ability of the listener to adequately control,without resorting to absorbers(Tube Traps et al)and was precisely the reason why my post said,your own ears,with your own system(i.e. in your own listening room).

Going back to your point about peaks and troughs in different rooms,this was also the reason why my previous Linn/Krell based system was sold,making way for the current TAG/Krell/B&W one,as the Linn Keltiks I owned worked perfectly in our previous brick built house,but no amount of fiddling with the active crossovers could iron out the bass reinforcement in our current timber framed(250yr old)house.

15. Pooley

Pooley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ditto on Dr Zucker's view of room acoustics.

Last year, when I was looking for new speakers to replace my aging Ruark Talisman's, I spent considerable effort visiting dealers and listening to as many speakers as I could. At least listening to the speakers in a dealers dem room I was able to hear the differences in production for various makes of speaker. These included ATC (several types), JMLab, Trinity Audio, Martin Logan, Reference 3A (at the distributors house in London), and B&W, plus others I can't remember now. The ones I really liked I arranged to demo at home. No small feat as most decent speakers weigh a ton and need you to pull in a few favours with mates to help you transport them.

Everyone I tried sounded completely different at home compared to the dealers dem room.

My room seems to have a bass suck-out region, which makes the sound of speakers change as you sit in different parts of the room. My solution, though I've yet to set aside the time to implement it, is to use two SL6000 di-pole passive bass units with my SL3's to augment the room acoustics. My future plan is to upgrade my AV32R to the DP version with TMREQ after Christmas.

Listen to speakers at your dealer, decide on your favourites, then arrange to listen to them at home before you decide. If they still don't "float your boat", go listen to more speakers. Wash, rinse, repeat until you find the ones that you like. I know this takes time, it did with me, but if you're spending this amount of money on speakers then it makes sense.

16. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Absolutely true,and took ages here as well,plus the inevitable domestic upsets that come with it...wires everywhere,amps all over the place,and complaints galore.....worth it now though.

17. Pooley

Pooley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's quite amusing to keep bringing various bits home for trials. I'll never forget my mates commenting on a pair of Ref 3A Di Capo's that I tried...

"They look like Darth Vader's speakers and cost how much!!!!!"

It is loads of grief to keep doing this, though good to hear how your room work with different types and designs of speakers.

Alexs2 - what speakers you using then? And what others did you demo?

Welshwizzard - did you get the 805 sigs?

18. Pooley

Pooley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops, sorry Alexs2, just saw your signature.

Still interested in the other speakers you listened to before deciding on the 805's.

19. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    No probs!.....the list as far as I can remember....

Linn Ninka/Katan etc
    B&W 805/804
    Various PMC and Spendors
    Quad ESLs(I actually have a set of the old ESLs with OTA panels)
    Wilson Benesch Arc
    Various Ruark

There were others,but relatively short term memory loss has taken it's toll!

I liked the 805's clarity,sound,and ability to take a lot of power,and preferred them to the bigger 804's(in my room)and whilst not as clear as my old ESL's in the midrange especially,they can go a lot louder,and sit on the end of set of Krells without emitting sparks.