Calliope centre channel question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by hifijones, Aug 26, 2018.

1. hifijones

hifijones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Greetings everyone,

Just wondering if anyone might know if the mid-bass drivers and tweeter in the Calliope centre channel are the same units found in the standard Calliope 2-ways? My Calliopes are the 1st gen versions with the 'woven' type mid-bass units. I realize that TAG upgraded and changed those drivers at some point so my question may be hard to answer.

I discovered a centre channel for sale locally but the grille doesn't seem to want to come off easily and I don't want to bugger it up by trying to remove it. Hence my inquiry.

Thanks very much for your time. Any and all help and input will be greatly appreciated.

2. hifijones

hifijones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Did some Googling and discovered that the drive units for the Calliope centre channel are the same as the standard Calliope. I guess I could have assumed as much but couldn't be sure. I purchased the centre channel and am hoping that it's the same gen as my Calliopes. If not I'll sell the c. channel drive units off as spares. They seem to be unobtanium on the used market.

3. david1961

david1961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Wish I could come across a centre channel so easy in Australia

4. karlknurr

karlknurr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    If you like to sell the center chanel write me pm. I am still searching for a while.

5. fortisflyer75

fortisflyer75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Interesting, what did they upgrade to material wise on the drivers then if they changed from a woven type driver?

I think I may have the 1st Gen on my Calliope centre? as they look & feel very much like my B&W kevlar drivers so take it that is 1st Gen driver? Didn't realize they upgraded the drivers on the Calliopes at some stage and haw far down the line did they upgrade the drivers in them?

A regular Tag seller on eBay was off loading some unused Calliope drivers for a reasonable price earlier on this year late last year.

Interesting as I almost pulled the trigger on a pair of Calliope speakers with bass units last year also...