Calling Z2 Owners

S

spondle

Just wandering if anyone can assist.

This is one of the pj's Im looking at but havent had a chance to see one in the flesh as yet.

My primary concern is the picture size in the room its going into, I think I would like to shelf mount the pj at the back of the room 12 ft long, so I suppose by the time the pj is shelf mounted it will be about 11 feet from projector wall.

Whats the screen sizes I could expect at both ends of the scale, Ive seen the calculators online and got an idea but Im concernced that if its too big for the room size then screendoor etc would be visible?

What do the owners think?

Thanks in advance

I have my Z2 just over 11ft from the screen and am projecting an image of 80inches wide, i can project a smaller image, just or easily a much larger image say up to about 100inches + wide. At this distance and for an 80inch image there is pretty much no issue with screendoor.

Inzaman out of interest from that distance how much smaller can the image go?

I can't get onto the Sanyo site at the moment to give you the precise sizes, but I believe your range at 11ft throw will be about 84"-100" diagonal (reading off a throw range chart).

I'm just agonising over screen sizes myself incidentally. I've got the same throw distance as you, and a viewing distance of about 3.1m (to front edge of sofa). I'm torn between a 92" diagonal and 96". We're testing with a temporary screen made out of a couple of poles and blackout cloth, and both sizes are acceptible...just trying to work out which one is perfect! I might err on the side of caution though and go for the 92".

thats quite big for that seating distance isnt it? Are you concerned about screendoor etc?

Nope, 92" diagonal at 3.1m-3.3m seating distance (depending on how you measure) is just fine for me, and I've got pretty good eyesight. You do occasionally get pixellation in extreme closeups, and the background detail and some horizontal banding during fast pans, but that may well be due to our older DVD player or the source material. For example, at 96" Gandalfs nose can suffer from pixellation on occations, but if you look closely, the pixels are bigger than those of the Z2 panel, so the problem is elsewhere!

We watched the whole LOTR-FOTR-EE at 96" and that was ok. We've recently watched XMen2 and an episode of Angel at 92" and those where also fine. At no point during Xmen2 did any screen artifact of any kind distract me from the movie. I'm sure if I actually looked for something, rather than sitting watching the film, I'd see them all the time, but that's a pretty silly approach.

As a last test I watched the "Barbarian hordes vs chariots" battle in Gladiator, firstly at 92", then at 96". The image was possibly sharper at 92", but the also at 96" there was a slight feeling of information overload. That didn't occur at 92". Going any smaller than 92" would, in my opinion, lose far more in terms of immersiveness than you gain in image quality.

The source material seems to be an important factor when auditioning a PJ. Strangely enough, two of the better transfers, LOTR-EE and Attack of the Clones, have shown the most pixellation. X2 and 5th Element were pretty much perfect though. Very odd.

Thats cool cos I was worried the throw would be too big for the room.

Out of interest are you able to easily zoom in/out from that throw distance to tell what screen sizes you can accomodate??

thanks

Got into Sanyos site at last. If your lens to screen distance is 11ft, your width of screen can be between 75.42" and 94.28" (86.54"-108.17" diagonal). A pretty safe viewing distance is about 1.8x screen widths so thats about 11.3ft minimum. If your viewing position is below the projector (as ours is)you'll be just fine. If your seats are further into the room, you might need to put the Z2 on a close ceiling mount. Alternatively, you could coffee table mount it.

hmmm food for thought thanks very much. I think ive really got to see one of these in demo.

As for coffee table mount thats a nono the little un would have his food/drink over it in seconds.

thanks for your help

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom