1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling USA, Australia, Singapore for AVC A1SE.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by PFM, Apr 11, 2001.

1. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I need some help from somebody in these locations.

I live in the UK and I am to take my honeymoon in these three locations in September. I am looking to buy the Denon AVC A1SE, and have found it in the UK for approx. £1999-£2000. Does anyone in the knowledge pool know of the approx street prices of the 1SE in Oz, Singapore, or USA.

Would I be financially better off purchasing it abroad and posting it home and can anyone throw any light on Denons World wide Warranty, and/or any voltage/language incompatabilities of the afore mentioned purchase.

Please help folks as I reeeeeally need this amp.

Thanks in advance... :eek:

2. General Murmur

General Murmur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why don't you have the honeymoon in Bognor and get a Tag System ? :)

3. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    DON'T get one in the USA. They use a 110v mains supply, for which you would need one HELL of a transformer to use with the UK's 240v mains.

4. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Cheers Folks,

How's about some info on Australia & Singapore.

I believe (from an old HCC article) that there are some good deals to be had in Singapore....

PS Looked into the Tag route (in an earlier thread(out of my pennies range) but its nice to dream.

5. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Originally from the wonderful Granite City, Aberde
    Ratings:
    +1
    "Would I be financially better off purchasing it abroad and posting it home"

Do you realise how much the thing weighs :eek: and how easily it could be damaged :mad:. I'd imagine any savings made would be completely negated by the postage costs to the UK, and then some.

I posted a well wrapped, £15 tea set to the USA and it cost over £45 via the cheapest method!

Regards

Jim :D

6. nickoff

nickoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Denon sells for around $6500 Australian = over 2000 UK pounds. As already mentioned, the postage (& insurance) would kill you - it weighs a ton and would probably be in pieces when it arrived home.

IMHO I would play it safe and buy it locally with local warranty and service etc.

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I stay in Malaysia and been to Singapore a few times (just 4 hours drive), electronics are very cheap there though I can't recall the exact price of the AVC-1SE - but if you want I can find out.
    There should be no compability problem with the Asian model in terms of voltage or OSD language.

The US model (if they have it, normally the Americans like Receivers only) would probably run at a different voltage but perhaps it's switchable though the video section might not be PAL compatible.

Anyhow, as remarked by others cost of shipping and insurance could become quite expensive but what everyone has forgotten is the import duty / tax you will be subjected to - and that will probably kill you.
    As well warranty issues are a problem since you most probably will not get an international warranty card.

So unless you are willing to take the warranty risk and you can carry the item in your luggage hidden from customs I would say you are better off buying it in the UK.

8. BobT

BobT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with the posts above , buy it in the UK. I've got this amp and it's simply sensational but isn't worth a light if all you receive is a bag of bits in the post or have to spend any savings you make at a local rupture clinic. Organs bursting through the body wall is fairly normal on honeymoon(or so I'm told!) but not usually as a result of carting an amp around the size and weight of a baby elephant.

9. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree with almost every word above. What's even worse is the fact that I don't believe this item is available in the USA, they call it the 5800 (I think) and it is a receiver not an amp.

IF you do insist buying abroad then you may as well buy from the 'net, they tend to know how to ship but you will be caught for import duty and VAT. I only tend to buy small stuff abroad (Monster s-video 3 cable is a bargain in the States, off the shelf at Circuit City at about 1/2 the UK price) that I can carry back. All other stuff is probably cheaper off the 'net than you can buy in the shops anyway. I know there is some satisfaction in taking an item off a shelf yourself but try to resist.

10. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for all the replies folks.

I probably will purchase in the UK, but for my own sanity had to find out the low down.

Can you imagine that horrrible sinking feeling upon coming across the amp at an unbelievably low price whilst on honeymoon. Especially after having spent the best part of 6 months justifying the price tag (no pun intended)to my very unsypathetic new bride. :(

She doesn't really buy the "It'll enrich our lives, make me a better person, provide a cure for cancer argument....

But still, I got the "if you must" sanction on condition of her free range of honeymoon destinations. (the agonies of love tsk, tsk)

Reiner, just out of interest I would love to know how much the Denon goes for (street price in your part of Asia and/or Singapore.

Thanks again folks....

11. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Ok, gimme a few days for the Singapore price.
    In Malaysia it's around RM15000, about the same as the Onkyo TX-DS989.
    Yamaha DSP-AX1 (gold only) went for RM9999 but is now down to around RM8000.

Just to give you some idea, Singapore will normally "beat" that.

12. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Here the price for the Denon AVC-A1SE (gold) in Singapore.
    I quote in Sing-Dollar so you won't get shocked instantly: SGD4100

My friend checked it for me, a shop in the ground floor of 'The Adelphi' shopping center (opposite 'Funan Center' ("IT heaven")).