Calling UK From Overseas?

Suave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am going on a cruise in the Caribbean with multiple ports of call for just over two weeks. To call the UK from the ship is very expensive & I was wondering if anyone knows a cheap way to call the UK from a mobile phone whilst on the ship or any of the various islands we will port in?

Is there some sort of calling card we can buy that is designed to be used overseas for calls from overseas to the UK? Is there a better, cheaper method? I can only find the ones that you call from the UK to overseas.

Also, do I need to take a separate mobile phone & does it have to be of a certain standard?

Any help will be greatly appreciated as we will be leaving in a couple of days!

Many Thanks,

Suave!

No answers I'm afraid but got be interested and raised a question in my mind - do mobiles work on a ship once you are away from the coast. The cells are quite small and I assume that there aren't phone masts out at sea.

Obviously, the ship will have a facility but surely they will force you to use their system at their rates.

Cheers,

Nigel

I think mobile phone coverage at sea will be non-existent, but depends how far you'll be from land. Perhaps best bet would be to get Skype on your phone and use a WiFI internet connection. I bet the ship has internet access but probably block Skype type calls. Perhaps an internet cafe when in port? Skype calls to landlines work out about 1p per minute from anywhere.

Hi,

Thanks for the input so far - next time I will prepare better! I hope they sell calling cards over there then!

Maybe someone might still know!

Suave!

Hi All,

I am going on a cruise in the Caribbean with multiple ports of call for just over two weeks. To call the UK from the ship is very expensive & I was wondering if anyone knows a cheap way to call the UK from a mobile phone whilst on the ship or any of the various islands we will port in?

Does the phone have wifi?

Is there some sort of calling card we can buy that is designed to be used overseas for calls from overseas to the UK? Is there a better, cheaper method? I can only find the ones that you call from the UK to overseas.

There are various calling card options available.

Also, do I need to take a separate mobile phone & does it have to be of a certain standard?

If you've got/get a phone with Wi-Fi and the ability to install/run Skype, then as long as you've got a wireless connection you could use Skype for fee Skype to Skype calls, or hugely reduced Skype to landline/mobile rates.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as we will be leaving in a couple of days!

Many Thanks,

Suave!

This might help:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/general-chat/1301608-calling-abroad-uk.html

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom