1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling those with AE setups ...

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Garfield, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Garfield

Garfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going to ditch my Yamaha DSP-A5 but I like it and decided to up the soundstage first. I therefore decided on the advice obtained here to ditch the Bose AM's and got a pair of Acoustic Energy Aesprit AE309 fronts, a pair of Aesprit AE300 for the rear and an Aesprit AE307 centre. I have some Eltax HT-2's that I intend to use as mids on a 7:1 setup when I finally up the amp.

Now those of you using this kind of setup what is the best sub to go with it.

I do NOT want a boom box though, I want speed and fidelity similar to a VBT / TBI Magellan but I'd rather not spend more than say £300 right now. I declined the Aesprit Sub because frankly it only went down to 45Hz whilst the floor standers already reach 37Hz if the specs are to be believed. I am looking to fill the gap below 40Hz down to 20Hz or below.

The sub will for now need to fill a room 15 metres by 6 metres that is carpeted and has furniture in some 'odd' places.

I have given up with audio store 'in store' demos because they rarely reflect what the final picture in the room when you get them home is.

I am OK for secondhand and want the most 'bang' for the buck ... pun intended ....

Has anyone ever run a Bose AM sub on its own using their second channel speakers in tandem with the main ones (I have a setting for speakers A or B but both can be depressed together - will the amp tolerate this if I use A for the mains and B for the sub only? - the Bose uses left and right channel inputs, there is no sub line in)

2. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Using the bose sub is not the way to go ,is it a powered sub or is it driven from the amp? Thats quite a big room you have to fill ,i would save a bit more and get something thats going to fill it rather than buy something now and want to upgrade later.

3. Garfield

Garfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only reason I am thinking of using the Bose is because I already have it (the Bose AM system is what I am replacing) and it is a passive. It is strictly a temporary solution till I save up more funds again ....

4. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
  5. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I doubt the the bose sub will be up to the job ,you would have to use a seperate amp anyway just to match the sound levels of sub and speakers.Although the list of subs is at the top of most peoples list (what happened to the xls200) i would go for someting a lot bigger with the size of your room.

6. Garfield

Garfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have checked out those listed and the lowest frequency of any of them doesn't seem that impressive. I have had a look at an MJ Acoustics Reference 100 or possibly 200 if I can get the right price - these are reported to deal the cards down to 13 Hz or so - but I wonder if they do - need to hear one but shop demos in my opinion are often not representative of what happens when you get home.

Keep the suggestions coming guys - the mind is still open ....

7. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    IMHO I think you are being a litte unrealistic expecting to get a sub that can easily do 20hz or less in a big room for under £300 brand new.

Your best bet is second hand. You could try to get someone to drop there price on there servo 15's to a more realistic level. There is a chance someone might be trading up there old SVS sub or the Rel storms.

8. Garfield

Garfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't entirely disagree but the Bose unit I have now is a passive and can still shake the windows upstairs never mind downstairs but to do this requires 'antisocial' volume levels, so there must be something with its own power source / amp that can do better.

I may up the price for the right kit but I am looking heavily into the S/H market to get maybe older but still substantial equipment that is being disposed of simply because it isn't the 'latest' fashion gadget.

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    That's a very patronising statement coming from someone with Bose speakers :rotfl:

10. Garfield

Garfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We all got to learn by our mistakes ... why do you think I said it .... ;)

11. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    What's wrong with the AE308 to match the rest of the speakers?

12. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I use the BKXLS200 with my DSP-A5 and it's a very good match. Even if you upgrade the amp the BK won't let you down. Clean, tight, powerful. Looks great too.

When I was looking for a sub the BK was touted as the prime choice around the £300 mark. And now it comes with a 275W amp vs the original 200W for the same price. As someone said earlier, whatever happened to the BKXLS200?!

:D ...PJ

13. Garfield

Garfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will do some digging and see which BK subs I can find.

The 308 sub just doesn't go low enough a sub that only reaches 30Hz when the mains are already 37 is just not going to do it for me - I have the speakers now, setup and they are damned impressive - more so than the Bose they replaced - the mains reach down to 37Hz (and on hearing them I think this is conservative) I think lower. I have run them in tandem with the Bose units and when the Bose are disabled you can't tell ... well impressed ... or easily satisfied ...

The winner at the moment is the MJ Acoustics Pro 100 ....

14. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    If your thinking of the pro 100 make sure you get to hear one first in your room or one of simular size, i wouldn't belive the quoted 13hz either.

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  16. Garfield

Garfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hear ya about hearing them in your room first - it seems to be real difficult to get home demo's though from anyone who doesn't try for 200% mark up on what they supply.

I also agree about the being cynical about the numbers - they don't mean much because nobody explains the measurement method / conditions or criteria under which they were derived. I was looking at the pro 100 because I kind of think that the two 8" drivers will produce better / faster response / extension than a single 10 or 12" unit - or is this a wrong assumption?

The Cantons are nice looking tools - going for about 450 Euro - I'll check with Jake ...